Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold start issue...can't solve!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM
chilix
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold start issue...can't solve!!!

I have a cold start issue with my '88 944 N/A and i have done about all i can think of to remidy it...the car runs fine when it is warmed up but the car can't even be driven when it is cold, the car just dies with any gas input whether I'm smooth or not...the car hasn't run in about 3 years and this summer i did timing belts, water pump, clutch, spark plugs and wires, new fuel pressure regulator and dampers, checked fuel pressure and leak down test (all within spec), new fuel pump, check valve, fuel filter, fuel strainer, checked the throttle position switch and mass airflow meter and all is in spec. Checked all my vacuum hose routing and there isn't a vacuum leak that I can find either. Also both the speed and reference sensors are good and so is the O2 sensor. Both temp sensors were replaced as well and are brand new. Took the car to a shop and got the fuel mixture checked and adjusted to spec. Replaced the DME sensor and DME as a check just cause I had extra of those around. Air filter is brand new, oil was changed too and car runs super smooth once it is warmed up. I can't figure out. Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:25 PM
jmd_forest
Advanced

Check the TPS switch. The TPS is basically just 2 switches. 1 activated at idle, the other activated at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). The PO of our 86 NA had used the throttle cable to adjust the idle, not letting the idle TPS switch close. Car ran like crap when cold, it would basically die when you stepped into the gas pedal, but after a few minutes of warm up, it ran fine. After correctly adjusting the throttle cable and TPS, it ran fine when cold. Detailed test and adjustment procedures for the TPS are at www.clarks-garage.com.

jmd_forest
Old 08-22-2008, 04:15 PM
chilix
Instructor

checked that, all within spec when throttle is closed and opened

it might be my injectors, gonna pull the fuel rail and rebuild it if the injector techron cleaner doesn't help any...my '87 944 had a similar problem when i first got it and after a few months it went away and 65000 miles later it has yet to come back, though it wasn't as bad as this '88 944

Quick Reply: cold start issue...can't solve!!!