Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when the oil pick up tube cracks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008 | 03:03 AM
pologuy
Racer

Default What happens when the oil pick up tube cracks?

Hi,

I was wondering what the symptoms were and what eventually happens to the car when the oil pick up tube cracks?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008 | 04:01 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

no oil pressure and engine failure?
Old 08-21-2008 | 04:05 AM
joonas
Racer

http://www.clarks-garage.com/phpBB2/...ght=oil+pickup
Old 08-21-2008 | 11:50 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by pologuy
Hi,

I was wondering what the symptoms were and what eventually happens to the car when the oil pick up tube cracks?

Thanks!
I had mine do that at the track.

I never noticed any problems till the bearing spun and 500 yards later the bottom of the #2 rod shot out the bottom of the engine.

Later on watchin in car video I notice something interesting.

The oil pressure gauge was in the picture and under hard braking at turn in the oil pressure would drop to zero. Then as soon as I turned and acclerated out it would come right back to normal pressure. I saw this happen for 3 miles or before it failed. However when driving I never saw any issues since I did not check oil pressure when braking at turn in. It was too busy to look at gauges there. When I check on the straight right after oil pressure was fine.

In fact my oil pressure was good even when the bottom end blew up. I suspect the tube was craked and flopping forward under braking enough to suck air, bit under accleration it would move back into place. The rod bearing could not stand this for long and spun. The rest of the motor was actually in great shape as the damage from no oil pressure was limited to the spun bearing and resuling damage when it siezed. I have been using the same head and cam from that motor for 5+ years since incident. Block was obviously trashed, but other 3 pistons and bores looked great.
Old 08-21-2008 | 12:11 PM
Judson951
Drifting

I have one out of an 86 951 if you need one.
Old 08-21-2008 | 12:49 PM
pologuy
Racer

Originally Posted by M758

I never noticed any problems till the bearing spun and 500 yards later the bottom of the #2 rod shot out the bottom of the engine.

The oil pressure gauge was in the picture and under hard braking at turn in the oil pressure would drop to zero. Then as soon as I turned and acclerated out it would come right back to normal pressure. I saw this happen for 3 miles or before it failed. However when driving I never saw any issues since I did not check oil pressure when braking at turn in. It was too busy to look at gauges there. When I check on the straight right after oil pressure was fine.

In fact my oil pressure was good even when the bottom end blew up. I suspect the tube was craked and flopping forward under braking enough to suck air, bit under accleration it would move back into place. The rod bearing could not stand this for long and spun. The rest of the motor was actually in great shape as the damage from no oil pressure was limited to the spun bearing and resuling damage when it siezed. I have been using the same head and cam from that motor for 5+ years since incident. Block was obviously trashed, but other 3 pistons and bores looked great.
That is almost exactly what happened to mine... however, I was not on a track, lol.

Was driving and when I would come to a stop or turned at a street light the oil light would come on...
Old 08-21-2008 | 01:41 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I assume you have checked the oil level?
Old 08-21-2008 | 01:55 PM
pologuy
Racer

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I assume you have checked the oil level?
LOL, yes

It actually had an oil change and some balance shaft work done a few days before this happend...
Old 08-21-2008 | 05:45 PM
pologuy
Racer

Which, I am told, is more than likely the reason for the oil pick up tube going....

The balance shafts were not done properly....
Old 08-21-2008 | 06:55 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Or you have a bad motor mount. Mine went at the track, but I got the engine shut off fast enough.
Old 08-22-2008 | 12:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by pologuy
LOL, yes

It actually had an oil change and some balance shaft work done a few days before this happend...

That I believe is what caused mine to fail. However it took a few months to result in an issue for me
Old 08-22-2008 | 02:26 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by M758

lol this is exactly what my car is doing right now. hard braking = drop to less than 1bar oil press. as soon as i stop braking, goes back to 2.5. turn right = drop to less than 1 bar oil press, straighten out = normal. turning left doesn't drop.....

i just moved so cleaning up garage and preping to drop engine and rebuild.

Quick Reply: What happens when the oil pick up tube cracks?