Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic of the project, and a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gee now what to do with your rennlist name... Chris_944 ???? hmm. I did the same thing as you. Bought a wrecked 944S to scavenge for parts and make some money, but found myself sticking the thing back together. Mine needs a windshield also. The kid that wrecked it bashed his head into it and shattered it. We could have a save-the-944 club within Rennlist for all the people that have resurrected cars that would otherwise end up in the junkyard..
Old 06-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As I understand it, they're pretty tough to remove without cracking because they're "urethaned" in at the factory.

However, I believe the FSMs have a "removal procedure," so go figure!

Whatever you do, try getting a decent replacement (amazingly enough, used ones exist) beforehand and be careful.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Jay W:
<strong>I did the same thing as you. Bought a wrecked 944S to scavenge for parts and make some money, but found myself sticking the thing back together. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Not a bad idea.. Salvage to Driveable in a few short posts for parts.. Hmmmm
I had planned to play with it- maybe auto-x and DE. I really got it for the interior to swap out. I'll be pulling parts off of it for a little while.. i.e. Fuel Rail!! I'm afraid I wont get the replacement one fast enough for the '24S.. (944 fest!) I'm still hoping though..
Old 06-19-2003, 02:20 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

I think that you would be best off getting the windshield replaced professionally. But now you have an additional option. You can get one without the internal antenna, and then get an external antenna off Rennbay:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=021853" target="_blank">Rennbay antenna</a>

As I recall the estimates I got on the non-antenna windshields were in the $150 range or less.

Tom
Old 06-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Julie.... that saphire was the same as my diamond blue right? or really really really close.... I remember you talking to me about that, (the redhead kid at Anderson's gtg) but i forget what you said....
Old 06-20-2003, 05:36 AM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

In addition to TMH's post, you can get a non-antenna windscreen much cheaper than the one with the antenna integrated and install it in your type 2 944.

However, the windshield won't be flush with the frame as in the type 2 944 but will be recessed in the frame as in the 924 and type 1 944. This is because the non-antenna windscreen is actually smaller than the antenna windscreen. Using a non-antenna windshield means converting to the type 1 configuration. Cheaper, but not nicer.

The 968 has a non-antenna windshield that will fit the 944 and is flush with the frame, however for some reason this is much more expensive than an antenna windscreen.

I changed my windscreen a year ago. I removed a good windscreen from a wreck and installed it in my car. Getting it in is the easy part, some good tools and help from a friend will do the job.

Removing the one from the wreck without breaking it is somewhat more difficult, however it is possible. I'm writing a procedure for installing and removing a windscreen. I'll post it when finished.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:19 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
I had 2 windshields replaced while I lived in FL (FL insurance law for that is GREAT!) and I had to order a piece of weather stripping to go in after the windshield. The glass co. told me you cannot reuse the old one (gets too brittle). I believe it ran about $100. You might need to look into that as well. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

I'll just have one installed.. I was quoted 789 bucks.. I'll see if I can get one a little cheaper used- but I'm afraid the shipping costs would kill any money saved..
I'm planning on relocating the antenna anyway- so I could go with the non-antenna and save a few bucks.
Thanks all- I wont even attempt it. some things are better left to a pro.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

$789????????? Wow..... I think I will shop around. Hopefully there are less expensive ones out there???
Old 06-20-2003, 12:39 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be confused here but didn't airbag cars have a thicker windshield? So another item to consider.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Iceshark.. This is an 87- non airbag.. Oh, and you'll be hearing from me shortly for battery cables for the 924S..
I got the quote from an online source- I'll definetly shop around.. Maybe partwerks in Joliet. - theyre close.. I Know about their rep- but its a windshield- no moving parts!
Old 06-20-2003, 12:59 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Windshields can be a major PITA to install. A big rock cracked the windshield on my Mom's Monte Carlo, so we needed to get it replaced under warrantee. The first day to windshields broke because they wouldn't settle right or something, so they had to come back. Finally the third one stuck, but that had to be expensive. Last time I went to the shop I had to wait for maybe 30 minutes. I watched the two guys outside have a hell of a time trying to install some new glass on a 930. Doesn't look like a fun job.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:38 AM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

When my car's windscreen was cracked I removed a good one from a wreck and installed that one in my car. It is very difficult not to crack the windscreen when removing it (don't ask how I know..)

Porsche 924 and 944 type 1.

The windscreen is recessed in the frame and does not have an antenna integrated. The window frame has a black three piece metal trim installed around the windscreen. The trim is clamped into little clips which are retained by the window frame. The window is bonded to the frame with a windscreen sealant. This windscreen can be installed in the 944 type 2, you only need to convert to the 944 type 1 configuration because the windscreen is actually smaller.

Porsche 944 type 2

The windscreen is flush with the frame and has a rubber seal installed around the windscreen, the window also has an integrated antenna. The rubber seal does not hold the glass in the frame. Cutting only this seal will not remove the windscreen. The window is bonded to the frame with a windscreen sealant.

This procedure applies to the porsche 924, 944 type 1 and 2
Before the windscreen removal a few parts need to be removed:

remove windshield wiper arms
remove A-pillar interior trim (behind the rubber plugs there are screws)
remove the two sun flaps, part of the roof trim will come of when doing so
At the bottom of the windscreen two plastic blocks keep the windscreen in alignment, mark there position! then remove them

924 and 944 type 1:
Pry the black trimpieces out of there clips. Apply WD40 liberaly. This will ease there removal. Remove the small clips out of the frame. Clean or replace them. Install them back after you have installed the new windscreen and the sealant has dried.

944 type 2
Cut rubber seal around the windscreen with a Stanley knife and remove it.

Window removal

Now the difficult part, to remove the windscreen you need to cut the old sealant, use special cutting wire to saw the windscreen out. This is commonly available at automotive shops. You need two persons to perform this task. To start the procedure you first need to get the wire trough the sealant, preferably at the bottom of the windscreen. This way you have one end of the wire outside the car, the other end inside the car. Using vise grips clamp the ends of the wire. One person is inside the car the other person is outside the car, now start a sawing motion. This should be as fast as possible, the wire should become very hot, melting through the sealant more than cutting it. Be very careful not to dame the paint and dashboard. Work your way around the windscreen, take your time, don't damage the car! When all the sealant has been removed lift the glass from the vehicle, using succion cups helps but is not a necessity.

944 type 2: Be carefull not to cut the antenna wire at the bottom of the windscreen. Disconnect the wire when removing the windscreen.

Installation of the windscreen

Place the windscreen on a stable surface, an old car tire is good enough. For installment of the windscreen suction cups are a necessity. Scrap all the remaining sealant from the windscreen and frame. Then use a degreaser to clean the frame and windscreen.

944 type 2: Glue the rubber windscreen seal with superglue to around the windscreen edges. Trail fit before using glue. You don't need to use window sealant for the rubber seal. This seal actually doesn't seal the windscreen from water, the window sealant between windscreen and frame does this.

Next use special windscreen primer to prime the edges of the windscreen and the window frame. Let the primer dry according to manufacturers specification. Reinstall the plastic blocks back at there original position using the marks you made before removal.

Place the window sealant container in hot water for 5-10 minutes. This will make application easier. Cut out a V-shape in the container nozzle, approximately 1,5 inch long. Beginning at the bottom of the windscreen, apply a bed of sealant along the edges of the windscreen in a steady and continues motion. Make sure the ends overlap. Two persons can then lift the windscreen by the suction cups en reinstall the windscreen.

Porsche 944 type 2: Don’t forget to connect the antenna wire before installing the windscreen.

Use the plastic block to align the windscreen at the base. Press the windscreen firm but gently in his place, make sure the gaps between the window and pilar are even at both sides. You can put some tension on the windscreen by placing a nylon tensionband around the windscreen. Let the band run over the suctionnaps and place some tension on the band until the windscreen is flush with the frame.

Let the sealant dry accourding to manufacrurers specification. Remove suctionnaps and band. Installment of the removed parts is the reverse of there removal.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:42 AM
ttwitc9516
Advanced

Chris,
I have a buddy that works for Safelite Auto glass and is going to do mine for about $150. I don't know where you live but if you'll email me directly I will send his number. PM where you live as well as I think we must be neighbors.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:00 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just got one replaced on my daily driver for $260. PPG, labor included and he did it at my house. You can do better on that price.

He also mentioned it isn't worth trying to take one out of a "doner" car as it will most likely crack.

Quick Reply: Pic of the project, and a few questions.