Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire rotation=shaky steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 12:24 AM
lutzam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post tire rotation=shaky steering wheel

I rotated my tires; moving the rear sraight to the front and the front to the opposite side on the rear. But now when i go around 60 my steering shakes like crazy. Could this be because i rotated my tires wrong, or could it be maybe a balancer fell off in the process. I debating whether to rotate them back or get them balanced

86' 944 NA

thank you ahead of time for your help
Old 04-24-2002, 02:22 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My steering "wobble" was caused by my wheel lock nuts (heavier than normal lugs) being placed on the same side as the valve stem. Together, it was enough weight thrown to one side of the wheel to cause a balance problem at around 55+mph. Enough shaking to cause carpal tunnel syndrome . Lister (Hans) suggested that the weight of the lock nuts could be causing the balance problem. I relocated the lock nuts to the opposite side of the valve stem, and the shimmy went away completely. Search for thread labeled "steering wheel shakes", for this and other ideas.

Lizard
Old 04-24-2002, 10:32 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moved rears straight to the front

Meaning left rear moved to left front????
Try swapping current left front with current right front.

Were pattern on the tire thread is differing for each wheel on the car. Swapping tires is not normally a good idea since it takes time for the pattern to were in in the "new" position.
During this, the road holding starts with next to zero and it wll take time and profile to work its way back to something you can rely on.
If everything fails, then re-balance the wheels while on the car.
PS did you noticed the normally different sizes in wheels and tires between front and rear?
TakeCare
Old 04-24-2002, 02:10 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When i rotated my tires, i moved them in the same fashion that you did. I don't think that's a problem. This is of course because all four of my rims/tires are the same size.
One thing that's really easy to check and solved most of my steering wheel shimmy is the tire pressure. I know, it's a stupid thing to let happen, but I let my front right get down to 28psi. Fixing that fixed my problem!(mostly)

Quick Reply: tire rotation=shaky steering wheel