Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche killer..

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 08:21 PM
nib5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still love the idea of a really mundane looking car capable of blowing the doors off some of these boy racer mobiles.

A 1970's 6.3L Mercedes SL in brown should do it. A guy in the UK has put 2L Fiat turbo engines in old Morris Minors. They will smoke a 930 at traffic lights and look like a geriatric parish priest should drive them. A Swedish VW fan has put the shell of a 1950 Beetle over the running gear of a wrecked 1985 3.3 911 Turbo.

Now THAT is style.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:30 PM
jurg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are most porsche owners so ignorant?
Okay so it isnt the nicest thing around and it is a honda,but if he speaks the truth and the car did turn in an 11 @130mph quater mile pass,fact is the car is faster than most of the 951's on this board without a problem.
In a few laps on a track it wont do much,okay,fine,but on the quater mile or on the street if its that fast.Peopl will try anything to take away all and any credit to a car that isnt theirs,half you guys are starting to sound like some supra owners.(Not all being some are good friends of mine-but some are arrogant bastards)
Just my opinion'
Old 05-13-2002, 11:24 PM
sb944
Advanced

Jurg, ease up boy.

I don't think people here are ignorant at all. Most know that this (unregisterable?) Honda probably is quick off the mark, and they also know their 951's would get beaten by it too in a straight line. We just think there is a lot about this car that we really don't like and not much we do like. And that’s our right.

As for being arrogant, there will be some arrogant people in every group of people, whether they are Supra owners, Porshce owners or bicycle owners. The rest of us are just making fun of another car in the privacy of a Porsche forum, which isn’t arrogance, it’s just sharing a joke with people who'd like to hear it.

My opinion about the car is that it took someone/a group of people a lot of effort and money to get that car to where it is, and I respect them for finishing such a large task. However I would only want to drive the car once, just to see how quick it feels. After that plod me back in a Porsche, as that’s where I’d rather be.

Sam.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:47 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Once I put a tractor trailer engine in a Ford Pinto and did a 5 sec 1/4 mile.

By the way, please tell me Honda isn't comparing that thing to a SR-71...? If I ever see that ad with a Civic instead of that bike...[insert puke noise now].

Ok, so it's not a lawn mower, and it is sweet, and I never said they didn't make good bikes. Shoot - I'd love to have one. If I wanted to go 0-200 in 5.1 seconds that's what I'd get. Maybe I should get specific:

Fact remains: It's a Honda DEL SOL.

-Matt
Old 05-14-2002, 12:42 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a nagging feeling that Luke and Jurg have stickers on their cars

Micah - (stickerless... except for the "Porsche" underneath the license plate
Old 05-14-2002, 02:22 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 524 Posts
hahhaa ..me too...stickerless except for the ....PALSYRACING.COM STickers in the quarter windows that natrually boost HP into the 490HP range so this DEL Sol...is history.....its just to bad Im only putting 130hp of this 490hp to the ground I mean it is PALSY HP!!!!!

ok im done...
Old 05-14-2002, 02:42 AM
brh986
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by BRB944:
<strong>S This car is such a beautiful testament to why the 951 is the best value in a sportscar.

B</strong><hr></blockquote>

I love my porsche as much as the next guy but value they are not! Best bang for the buck? No! A NA 944 is SLOW, it's f***ing expensive too. I like it but it is most certainly NOT the best value in sports cars and neitehr is any other Porsche. All I have to say is $1,000 for a cam carrier cover (thank god I got one used for $300)
Old 05-14-2002, 03:18 AM
brh986
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Luke:
<strong>

SO learn how to drive a FWD car (same differnce with AWD, both will plow if you dont konw what you are doing)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why? Front wheel drive blows? It's stupid, and it does make sense from an engineering standpoint. Why have the front wheels do the steering and the accelerating and the rears do nothing? Makes no sense and limits the cars abilities. It's just dumb. And no AWD won't do that if it is properly designed.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:20 AM
brh986
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by nib5:
<strong>I still love the idea of a really mundane looking car capable of blowing the doors off some of these boy racer mobiles.

A 1970's 6.3L Mercedes SL in brown should do it. A guy in the UK has put 2L Fiat turbo engines in old Morris Minors. They will smoke a 930 at traffic lights and look like a geriatric parish priest should drive them. A Swedish VW fan has put the shell of a 1950 Beetle over the running gear of a wrecked 1985 3.3 911 Turbo.

Now THAT is style.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whoa fellow copenhager bluer hehe. ANyway what i was going to say is I saw a pic somewher eof a guy with a vw microbus with a 3.6L 993 engine in it. That's quality!
Old 05-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by brh986:
<strong>

I love my porsche as much as the next guy but value they are not! Best bang for the buck? No! A NA 944 is SLOW, it's f***ing expensive too. I like it but it is most certainly NOT the best value in sports cars and neitehr is any other Porsche. All I have to say is $1,000 for a cam carrier cover (thank god I got one used for $300)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Chill brother. Speak for yourself. They are extremely good value, if you get the right one that hasn't been abused (just like ANY car). Remember, we're talking 10-12-20 years old!

Besides the fact the person didn't say the 944 was a good bang for the buck, he said the 951 is! Read more carefully before you jump on someone's post like that. IMHO.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by Matt R. Olde:
<strong>Fact remains: It's a Honda DEL SOL.

-Matt</strong><hr></blockquote>

what's wrong with that! some people like them
Old 05-14-2002, 02:52 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

<strong>

And no AWD won't do that if it is properly designed.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Then why do driving techniques that applu to FWD cars also apply to AWD cars (i.e. Left foot braking)
Old 05-14-2002, 03:00 PM
Z-man
Race Director

<strong>Why? Front wheel drive blows? It's stupid, and it does make sense from an engineering standpoint. Why have the front wheels do the steering and the accelerating and the rears do nothing? Makes no sense and limits the cars abilities. It's just dumb. And no AWD won't do that if it is properly designed.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Well, in "safety before anything" America, FWD cars make sense, with their inherent understeer built in. Most American drivers are ignorant and stupid when it comes to sitting behind a wheel. Two facts:
1. If they (ignorant American drivers) take a corner too fast, the natural tendency for them is to brake and slow down. (Try that in a 911!)
2. When a car starts to understeer, the best way to counteract it is to brake and slow down.
3. So, if most Americans slow down when going too fast into a corner, why not build understeer into a car's geometry so it will do the right thing regardless of what the idiot driver is doing? The FWD platform makes sense for the US market.

Also: FWD offers a compact setup, allowing for a roomier interior. And it is probably cheaper to manufacture.

BTW: I haven't own a FWD car for years: I've got my 944S2, and two Subaru AWD cars. (Note: AWD does have the tendency to understeer, but boy it is fun to play with in the snow! )
Old 05-14-2002, 04:13 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
And rain! When its raining cats and dogs it feels like its bone dry in a WRX (assuming you sh*tcanned the stock rubber). When its pouring out I can take anything in the city at a stoplight. Up to legal speeds of course.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:28 PM
nib5
Instructor

Just about every car on the road leaves the factory with a certain amount of understeer dialed into it for safety reasons, regardless of the drive layout. FWD cars have developed hugely in the last twenty years or so and as a result have the capacity for much greater neutrality, especially via passive and active rear steering.

Anyone who has ever ridden in or driven a Scirocco, Corrado, a sorted Peugeot, an original CRX, Integra type R or even an original Mini will be forced to admit that front wheel drive can be a riot - whereas a 1970's Toyota Crown will suck, despite it's RWD layout. A good car is a good car regardless of how it is propelled.

Another C Blue 944 - that makes three so far - it's obviously the best colour

Quick Reply: Porsche killer..