Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: The Thermo Switch Plug has a broken wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 11:55 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Arrow HELP: The Thermo Switch Plug has a broken wire

I was finally able to remove the thermo-switch with a 1-1/8 socket (wasn't perfect fit, but it worked) this morning. But when I went to put the switch's plug back on, I noticed the middle wire was broken. Is this middle wire the ground, or is it integral to the function of the switch and the fans? I'm so pissed that Porsche left no slack in the wire for the plug. There's hardly enough for you to get the plug on the switch correctly.

How can I re-attach the wire being that the plug is still on the car and the car is in a parking lot?

TIA,
sm
Old 04-23-2002, 12:13 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think some Lucas, "Prince of Darkness", people went to work for the Porsche electrical design team.

You haven't explained exactly where this break is but to get the car home so you can fix properly either move it at night when there is little traffic and you can keep her rolling above 20 or 30 mph, or go to some outfit like Radio Shack and buy an alligator clip test wire. If you can get some bare wire showing then grab it with the alligator clip.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:18 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Ice:

The break is right where the middle wire meets the back of the plug. There's maybe 2mm or wire left on the plug, so it's going to be hard to get some bare wire to show.

So what is the middle wire for? Ground, pos., neg.?

Drive the car home? I haven't moved the car since the alternator broke! I was hoping to go for a drive today, then this happens.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:38 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what the middle wire is offhand but if it is brown then it is probably ground.

If you only have 2 mm that is going to be tough to repair except isn't that a soft rubber plug? (I don't have my car handy to look.) If so just take a razor to it carefuly and expose some more wire. Get a piece of heat shrink and silicone - the silicone should be the non-corrosive type that gives off methanol when it cures. Solder the wires back together, smear on some silicone and heat shrink the whole mess. That will take care of you.

Quick Reply: HELP: The Thermo Switch Plug has a broken wire