Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for the Roll bar. Best one? Which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008 | 10:02 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Default Ready for the Roll bar. Best one? Which one to get?

Yep...I searched. Many suggested...no photos. Should I consider going with a custom one that can be expanded upon?

Budget is a concern. I'd like to do the best I can for the money. And, while I like John Hajny's bar, I want a more comprehensive one that helps the stiffness of the chassis.

If you have installed a bar, please post some photos. I'd love to see some references.

Also...does anyone have the OG Racing bar / cage? I have heard some good things about this. A input regarding this bar would also be appreciated.

C.
Old 08-11-2008 | 11:22 AM
944CS
Drifting

I would go custom..that's the only way you'll tie into the suspension in the rear..also all the mail order bars/cages leave a lot of room between the bar and the a pillar which blocks your sight somewhat
Old 08-11-2008 | 12:55 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Go custom. I was going to get the OG bar (I live local to them) but with installation (you need to weld plates to the car then bolt the bar to the plates IIRC) but a custom bar was the same price. Labor rates here are sort of expensive, so I spent about $4000 for my cage and another few hundred on seat mounting, but its well worth it in my opinion. That was with labor at $95/hour. Here are some pics:

My cage was built my Piper Motorsports in Sterling VA. They are right down the road from OG Racing. They do great work, but its not cheap. www.pipermotorsport.com
Old 08-11-2008 | 12:58 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Hey, Jason. Are you racin' yet?
Old 08-11-2008 | 01:00 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chads996
Yep...I searched. Many suggested...no photos. Should I consider going with a custom one that can be expanded upon?

Budget is a concern. I'd like to do the best I can for the money. And, while I like John Hajny's bar, I want a more comprehensive one that helps the stiffness of the chassis.

If you have installed a bar, please post some photos. I'd love to see some references.

Also...does anyone have the OG Racing bar / cage? I have heard some good things about this. A input regarding this bar would also be appreciated.

C.

I like Hajney's bar too. I think it's the way to go IF you want something that can come out of the car pretty quickly, and you really just want something better than a harness bar. It might help in a rollover, and it will not stiffen the chassis at all.
Old 08-11-2008 | 01:22 PM
aribop
Race Car

Chad, if you lean towards custom and don't really have anyone in mind, give me a call. I have a great guy near me that does some awesome fabrication.
Albert

Quick Reply: Ready for the Roll bar. Best one? Which one to get?