Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hi, newbie, here......petrol/gas fume question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:37 AM
galwaytt
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hi, newbie, here......petrol/gas fume question...

Hi,
Newbie here, and I've gone from having an 87 911 3.2 and the been-there-done-that thing, so returned to normality, well, a Merc..........

..but I digress. A friend buying a 944 turbo on eBay got me to thinking, and more importantly to looking at how to have a P car without 10k sitting in the account waiting to be called upon........damhik.........

So, long story short, I went looking, and ended up with a 94 968 Sport (NOT CLUB) for 944 money......and boy am I glad.

...fast forward a bit, and I really, really want a Tiptronic.........but I'm not biting on knackered 964's and the high maintenance.......so now I have, er, 2 x 968's. The Tip is a '93 with 140k miles on it. As usual, it started out as a cheapie, but the 'while you're in there' mentality took hold, and I ended up spending the same as the manual on....oops. In fact, I'm now looking at 996 money between the two of them.........but there again, I won't have RMS issues........

...which brings me (finally !), to my reason for posting.

The 93 Tip has, on occasion, a fuel smell inside the cabin. I've had every line, including all the hard ones, replaced, and there are no leaks. But it's off-putting, to say the least, especially if you come back to a car parked in the sun (yellow thing in the sky, allegedly........), and you open the door.

The only other tell-tale on the tank is the fact that when you remove the gas tank cap, there is a fair amount of tank.......vacuum/pressure.....so I'm looking for advice on where to start looking.

Outside of that, and the fact I'm trying to find 2 x front calipers for it, the Tip is actually a nicer car. Maybe because it buzzes a bit more with only 4-speeds, and it certainly runs nicer. Proof, if ever, that these things just get better with more mileage...

TIA, from the rainy West of Ireland, as they say......
Old 08-09-2008, 10:39 AM
galwaytt
AutoX

mmmm, need to change my avatar now too.....
Old 08-09-2008, 11:05 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your charcoal canister is saturated it can cause this, also what i did to identify my problem was i have an adapter made from a gas cap with a hole drilled through the center so i could smoke the fuel tank. I found out that a bunch of the vent lines to the tank were leaking. They are placed under a cover in the hatch on the passenger side and can allow the fumes to leak into the interior. Another thing to check is to make sure your hatch seal is in good shape.

Mark
Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
galwaytt
AutoX

Thanks Mark - that was quick.

As it's a ROW car, there is no charcoal canister, so that eliminates that. Vent pipes, yes, I kinda suspected........is there more than one?

...btw, tell me I don't have to take out the tank............

btw, over here pass side = driver's side
Old 08-10-2008, 03:57 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry didnt notice you were ROW... No you shouldnt have to remove the tank, if the lines are leaking i was able to tighten them some more to stop the leak.

Mark

Quick Reply: hi, newbie, here......petrol/gas fume question...