Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refinishing those phone dials...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 06:55 PM
JB '87 944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Refinishing those phone dials...

I've enjoyed my 3 weeks of 944 ownership and reading the postings on this site. Thanks for everyone's comments to what might be considered my low tech questions. Well, here's another one...

My next challenge is refinishing the phone dials. Two of them have "yellowed". I took some very fine steel wool and started to rub a very small area inside one of the "dial holes" and before I knew it I had taken off the yellow, the silver paint and I'm right down to the wheel...which looks sort of whiteish in colour. I stopped right there. I was kind of hoping just the yellowing would have come off leaving the bright dazzeling silver wheel. Ah...in my dreams!

I've read the recent posting of the wurth paint saga but here's the question:

If I go the route of painting these things with the wurths paint (or similar) I suppose I've got to remove all this yellowing and probably the old silver paint as well - bare it right down to the wheel. Then apply paint. Does this plan sound solid?

Oh yes..I'll actually remove the tires before I start this project in ernest.
jb
Old 05-27-2002, 08:11 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't take off the paint down to bare aluminium because making paint ahere to that is difficult. Notice how water beads up on clean polished aluminum? Paint will do the same thing. Instead, take off most of the paint to leave a clean, smooth primer layer. Then apply new paint on top of that.

If you have bare aluminum rims, then follow this procedure to paint with a conversion coating:

- send wheel through a pretreatment system and clean with an alkaline detergent
- rinse
- convert either by spray or immersion in an acidic bath composed of chromic acid
- then use accelerators like fluozirconic acid
- next comes the etching agents such as hydrofluoric acid
- send through a series of counterflow rinses
- rinse with pure deionized water to eliminate spotting
- then apply zinc-chromate primer (for aluminum) and/or
- clearcoat wheel with either a solvent acrylic or powder clearcoat (polyester or acrylic)
Old 05-27-2002, 08:38 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that all? I thought it would be more complicated!!
Old 05-27-2002, 10:12 PM
JB '87 944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danno:

Thanks for making what I had hoped would be a low tech question into a high tech question!

Hope to get back to Santa Barbara sometime soon. I love the resort and spa at Ojai.

jb

Quick Reply: Refinishing those phone dials...