Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Paint Respray COST???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 05:56 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question New Paint Respray COST???

I want to get your opinion. What should it cost to get a quality paint job with no major body work simply a sand mask and respray. This would be at a quality body shop not Earl Schibe. Your thoughts apreciated! If you have actually had this done even better!!!
Old 05-27-2002, 11:21 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good quaity spray, with little to no bodywork will run you anywhere from 1500 to 6000, (nothing fancy, just a good spray job) I have mine resprayed with extensive dentwork and a very respectabl outfit for around 5 grand. Looks great.

Christian
Old 05-28-2002, 12:09 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
You have many decisions to make on this issue, so there's no "simple" paint job, IMO....

Will it be necessary to include the door jambs in the job..?
If so, count on door removal, so new mirror, door handle and lock gaskets. These look crappy when masked anyway......

Sunroof, has two gaskets, one for the opening and one surounding the panel itself, they usually are not reuseable, IMO

Removal of the decklid, is a good idea, so paint can be sprayed in the recesses surrounding the lid, new rear lock rubber gasket, and deck lid rubber, at this time.
Removal of the tail/brake lights makes a better job also, since there's dum-dum
(tar like substance) sealing them in and usually visible from outside, they are impossible to mask perfectly.

If the hood will be painted off the car, the fender area can be painted (the part under the hood where fender bolts attach to chassis), so get the four hood rest rubbers and replace at this time.
Keep the WW squirter gaskets or have some cut from rubber stock, they are not available.
A hood sanded aroung the WW jets, and masked off, looks bad when finished.
Removal of front turn signals, and driving lights, is a must for a good job, if you remove the backing part of the driving light, IIRC, the front bumper cover will need to be removed.
Rear bumper rubbers too must come off, they look bad masked, you might want to remove the liscense plate light as well.......

If you're not going all the way, get a cheap job, but you'll be better off in the longrun to invest for a good job, for future sale, a badly masked paint job, will deter a potential buyer FAST..

As described with new gaskets and rubber....no body work....
$2500-$4000, depending on color, Red's cost more, since materials are higher....

Good luck....
Old 05-28-2002, 12:21 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have already purchased all of the new gaskets they were surprisingly cheap well most of them. This paint job is for a 968 CAB.

951and944 thanks for the detailed response!
Old 05-28-2002, 02:38 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it should run you $1695.

OOPS, i forgot the "." $16.95 (sixteen dollars and nintey five cents"

at least thats all it took for mine.

SHAUN
Old 05-28-2002, 03:32 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Sandoval:

Even a cheap paint job can look good from 30 feet away. A quality paint job will look just as good six inches away. The advice given is excellent.

Think of it this way: Every item that was installed on the body at the factory after the shell was painted has to be removed; weatherstripping, door handles, mirrors, outside decals, pin striping, squirters, all lights, the works. A perfect job would also include removal of side rear windows, rubber around the front door windows, the windshield surround, the rear hatch, the headlight assemblies so the covers can be painted separately..(oops..you have a 968; no headlight covers...sorry, but the assemblies should still be removed). Walk around the car and make a list of each and every part that you think may have been installed after the original shell was painted. It will be a long list. Preparation is critical. Wet sanding with 1000 grit paper is required, as well as repairing any imperfections.

All this assumes the vehicle will be painted the same color as it was originally. Any change in color complicates the process because every decal will have to be removed and replaced, the engine compartment sanitized and painting this part of the car without removing the engine is next to impossible to get right.

Here's the surprise. From a standpoint of durability and application, Maaco or Earl can do a reasonably good job. If the paint is allowed to cure sufficiently, it can be color sanded and buffed out with the micro polishes that are currently available. If you prefer a specific brand or type of paint, some of these shops will shoot it for you if you supply it. You have to ask. If you can do the prep work (and finish work) yourself, you may be surprised just how far a grand can go.

There is a company from which I buy my prep supplies (paper, masking materials, polishes, etc) by the name of Red Hill Abrasives. They are on the internet..no affiliation, just a happy customer

BTW...What happened to a 968 that would require repaint?

Bob S.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:37 AM
p0r2chby
Advanced

We'll, what ever you choose to do, try to not do the spray can thing. When it come to cars and paint, cans are for kids.

Quick Reply: New Paint Respray COST???