Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch release?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008 | 12:07 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

Default Rear Hatch release?

The rear hatch on my 944 doesn't release at all. In fact it doesn't even sound like it's trying any more. This goes for both the hatch release button and the key. Anyone know what some likely causes might be?
Old 07-31-2008 | 12:53 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

The latching mechanisms are different for different years, wha year is your car?
Old 07-31-2008 | 01:02 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

You have a late car so I would check the two hard wires that connect from the center mechanism to the outer catches. If it won't release with the key or button thats about the only thing that can disconnect unless the center shaft behind the lock cylinder is broken. Get inside the hatch from inside, drop the rear carpet, and look up under the inner frame and you will see the wires. Have someone turn the key and see if they move. If they don't move you can open the hatch releases individually by pushing the tab while pushing up the hatch from inside our preferably with a helper from outside. At least you can work on it now with the hatch open.
Old 07-31-2008 | 09:54 AM
teamking
Pro

Yeah, I've been going through some difficulties on my 1986 with these. My fix was to remove the little rubber cups that are inside the latching mechanisms (on both sides). The rubber cups had deterioriated and ripped apart, and they were preventing the latch from opening (gumming up the works, as it were). After removing the cups, everything is working great, except that there is quite a bit of rattling as the metal hatch pins shake around inside the latch mechanisms while driving. At some point, I'll figure out a way to recreate those rubber cups without paying $40/ea for new latch mechanisms.
Old 07-31-2008 | 01:34 PM
Drewsifer
Racer

Originally Posted by teamking
Yeah, I've been going through some difficulties on my 1986 with these. My fix was to remove the little rubber cups that are inside the latching mechanisms (on both sides). The rubber cups had deterioriated and ripped apart, and they were preventing the latch from opening (gumming up the works, as it were). After removing the cups, everything is working great, except that there is quite a bit of rattling as the metal hatch pins shake around inside the latch mechanisms while driving. At some point, I'll figure out a way to recreate those rubber cups without paying $40/ea for new latch mechanisms.
This was suggested to me, but I don't think thats it. Because it doesn't even sound like the latch is trying to release. My hatch was always picking but I used to hear a whirr and a clicking when it was releasing. But now it doesn't even do that. It's an 88 btw. Thanks for the good advice Kuhl!
Old 07-31-2008 | 04:04 PM
cubby944
Intermediate

When I got my car the hatch release wouldnt work either. I accidently caught the switch with my foot one day and noticed a wire had come un connected. I resoldered the wire and all was well. Another issue I have seen on a different 944 was with the metal linkages as KUHL pointed out. The fitting that would hold the linkage to the lock mechanism came off and allowed the linkage to disengage.
Old 07-31-2008 | 07:56 PM
thekidd
Instructor

There is a little cheap plastic peice behind the latching mech. on the end of the pole that could have broke, or the metal cable to the motoe may have broke like mine.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch release?