Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 951 - Suggestions requested-gotta change heater hoses

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 04:59 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 86 951 - Suggestions requested-gotta change heater hoses

Okay...I found the leak that has been plaguing me for some time. I found it kind of by luck shining the light around today and just sniffing around. Looks like one of my heater hoses back there has broken and I see now where green deposits have formed (yes, it had green in it when I got it).

I see a hose there that comes up from the heater valve on the back of the engine and connects to a metal upside down T under the intake and the point sticking up has a metal end on it with 2 small vacuum hoses coming out of it. That to me would seem to be the hose that is leaking, if it indeed is a coolant hose instead of some vacuum hose. The deposit is pretty well right where under pressure toward the bottom side that coolant would squirt down and hit there.

My questions are: I plan on flushing and refilling the coolant when I do this (yeah! more bleeding!!!) and trying to clean up some back there while I'm at it. So, what else is right there that I should change at the same time besides those hoses and the heater valve, if anything? And what on earth is that metal thing up there with the two vacuum hoses coming out? I can't see where the other side of the T goes for sure. Also right there where the two sensors plug in right behind the intake, I noticed that the front one that goes off to the driver's side and should have the small connectors to lock into the wire on the other side have broken off. I don't that stuff available to me to look at right now...that wire definitely should be replaced, IMHO. It stays in there pretty good...but I wouldn't bet on it staying that way forever without anything besides a tiny bit of friction holding it. Also, is there anything good to put on those little vacuum Y's and T's to help keep the little plastic hose in them? Mine seem to come out awfully easy, but the hose and the Y/T's seem to be in very good condition.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Old 05-23-2003, 01:12 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the little thingie with 2 vac. hoses is a thermal switch, it is closed until the engine warms up then it opens to allow vacuum to the canister purge valve. You can secure the vac. hoses in their fittings with very small zip ties, if they come apart easily, take them apart and clean them, remove any grease or oil, reassemble them and clamp with small nylon ties.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:28 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks...I'll keep that in mind as I go over them back there!!!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: 86 951 - Suggestions requested-gotta change heater hoses