Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnose a bump, bump, bump @<40 whrrrrrrr >40

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help diagnose a bump, bump, bump @<40 whrrrrrrr >40

I'm getting a bump, bump, bump, feels like the rear of the car, changes w/ wheel speed. At low speeds it feels like a flat spot on the tire, above 40-50 it sounds like tire noise or "knobby" tires, not so much a feel at those speeds as a sound. Doesn't change w/ acceleration, braking, reverse. I can’t get the symptoms when the car is on jack stands.

I changed my rear wheel bearings thinking it was that, no luck. I also repacked two CV joints on one side that had a cracked boot. The other CV shaft is relatively new, still w/ p/n sticker. Any ideas??? I did a lot of searching, that’s why I did the rear bearings but…

Thanks in advance listers,
Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you put the wheels/tires on a spin balancer to check for roundness and trueness?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shiners780
Have you put the wheels/tires on a spin balancer to check for roundness and trueness?
+1... and also check for out-of-balance wheels?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Originally Posted by shiners780
I haven’t, but I’m thinking I could put the fronts on the rear and rears on the front and see if the bump, bump sounds/feels like it changed places…

Any other ideas? How accurate is “feels like it’s coming from the rear” in your collective experiences, could it be the front?

Edit: This happened after a DE weekend, on the way home about 5mi from the track.

Thanks,
Old 07-25-2008, 01:24 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tay-Tay
I haven’t, but I’m thinking I could put the fronts on the rear and rears on the front and see if the bump, bump sounds/feels like it changed places…

Any other ideas? How accurate is “feels like it’s coming from the rear” in your collective experiences, could it be the front?

Edit: This happened after a DE weekend, on the way home about 5mi from the track.

Thanks,
Rear end problems are usually felt by your butt, front end problems are usually felt in the steering wheel. Usually, not always. Definitely swap the wheels front to back (if they will fit) to see if anything changes.

And any "rear end" and "butt" jokes by the peanut gallery will be seen as pathetic, because I made it too damn easy.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Thumbs up

Now this just going down hill. I was going to say I can definitely feel it in by butt...but I better not.

On a more relative note I think I found my problem. I believe I have a displaced belt in the right rear tire. I was going to swap the fronts to the rear, but I just looked at the tire closely and sure enough I have a lump, which is obviously more worn as well.

Time for some new tires...

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Help diagnose a bump, bump, bump @<40 whrrrrrrr >40