Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help w/ wheel bearing puller tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help w/ wheel bearing puller tool

I ordered the ArnnWorx wheel bearing puller, but he just sold the last few he had to a company in Australia, and wont have anymore for ten days, + shipping time. I will miss my planed road trip.

What other options for pullers have you listers had success w/? Specific sizes, and/or model #s appreciated.

I've read slide hammer, and universal puller, but what size/model, I see so many available on line.

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Anyone know the id/od of the rear wheel bearing, so I can search the local NAPA?

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tay-Tay
I ordered the ArnnWorx wheel bearing puller, but he just sold the last few he had to a company in Australia, and wont have anymore for ten days, + shipping time. I will miss my planed road trip.

What other options for pullers have you listers had success w/? Specific sizes, and/or model #s appreciated.

I've read slide hammer, and universal puller, but what size/model, I see so many available on line.

Thanks,
I just did a replacement of my two rears using a regular bearing puller kit I borrowed from a friend of mine who owns body/mechanical shop(It looked like small suitcase and had everything I needed).Maybe you can rent one in your area?

Good Luck !!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autozone rents tools for free (full $ back when returned). Couldn't hurt...
Old 07-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

I wish I had one near me, just NAPA. I orderd a slide hammer bearing puller, hope it works.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 AM
markoS2
Advanced

You can make one from Home Depot for about $16.00 if you have a grinder. You might have to try Lowe's also to get the right flange. You have to grind down one of the 1/2" flange's to fit inside the bearing race and grind down the pipe end to better fit inside the old bearing (the part that is left after the inards fall out after using the slide hammer). I used the extra pipe piece because I couldn't grind the flange even enough to be comfortable with it, and the pipe piece almost fit perfectly to the inner part of the bearing. It is a bit of work to do the grinding with a hand grinder. Just need to make sure the pipe end fits squarely inside the bearing so that it puts even pressure around the whole bearing, so it doesn't start out **** eyed. The flange alone was fine for installing the new bearing. If your doing both sides you might want to get two threaded rods (red dot) and some extra bolts (5/8" I think), they get pretty chewed up from the serious torque put on them. The 3" female PVC adapter fits just outside the hub opening, as if you were trying to split it, but it's very strong and held up just fine for me. I used the large PVC reducer (and a bigger flange that's not in the picture) first to get it started. The small PVC connector also fits nicely in the back opening when installing the new bearing.

Quick Reply: help w/ wheel bearing puller tool