Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Reference Sensor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM
EJnMN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamgod
the core came out of mine...i used the threaded bolt and socket removal method

Tried this weekend to drill down the center to get a bolt started, and the thing is made of some sort of depleted uranium. Got through the case, but apparently, there is a magnet or something in there that is essentially solid? Could not penetrate.

I wanted to find a slide hammer or something, but I can't seem to attach anything to the sensor. Arnworks should have a tool for this.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:53 PM
EJnMN
Instructor

Default Update:

Manufactured a tool from a 3 foot piece of 1/8" weld steel that had two fingers to reach under the reference sensor, and then was angled to fit through the engine bay to the reference sensor, and then had an angle on top that could be hammered upward.

Got it an additional 1/2 inch up before I had to call in reinforcements because it wasn't moving. Got a buddy to hammer while I held it in the right alignment... after about 10 good hits, it gave. Unfortunately, that was the top of the reference sensor getting separated from the core.

Given there was no longer any possible way of getting the thing out, I drilled the bracket in half, pulled the rear half with the other sensor out, and then slid the remaining one off the sleeve. It came out pretty easily.

The good news is that the rear bolt wasn't actually missing... it was just gone... what I thought was the bolt was the sleeve... so now, only needing a new bracket, I should be able to get this thing back on the road again... once I find a new bracket.

Question: Would it be "wrong" to take some sandpaper and widen the holes in the brackets a little? Might make subsequent removals easier, but would it cause a problem?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 PM
jmd_forest
Advanced

Use some fine sandpaper, but only to clean up any corrosion in the bracket. Use a little anti-seize compound on the sensor shaft before installing to help removing at a later date.

jmd_forest
Old 08-03-2008, 01:55 AM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I would widen the holes. I just put a very light coating of grease on the sides. Oh and don't throw away your old bracket just yet. You will need the sleeve for the front sensor(speed I think). My new bracket from Paragon didn't come with that sleeve.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:29 AM
EJnMN
Instructor

ok... Thanks, both of you for the good idea on the anti-seize.

You mentioned that paragon had a reference sensor bracket... they show one for an 85.5, but not one for an 83. I'm struggling to find a bracket for an 83.

Anyone have any links?

I've tried Pelican, Paragon, DC Automotive, Auto Atlanta might have them, but their site isn't working.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pelican does have the sender bracket.
Porsche Part Number: 94410132107

It says it ships in 4 days so there must be at least one in the US.

They're a lot cheaper than I thought they would be...

Paragon has the same bracket. It will work on your car, but you will have to cut off the knock sensor hole. No big deal.

EDIT: Part number 944-101-031-03 may actually be for your early car, and pelican has that. But there is no description or picture. And, it's also special order (which means it will take a week+ to get it). So you could try that.
But I would just order the late car and cut off the knock sensor slot.

GL!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 AM
EJnMN
Instructor

Default UPDATE: Need to know about interchangable Brackets

The person I got the replacement bracket from was parting an 83, but sent me an 85.5+ Bracket. Can I just remove the 3rd sensor, and use the newer bracket on the 83?

I assume spacing is right... will the addition get in the way, or will there be issues? Possible that is what was done on the donor car.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:01 PM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hack off the 3rd sensor
Old 08-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Mike951
Drifting

Default Sleeve for sender

Note:

I went to the dealership to order a sleeve for my '83 and they quoted me $72 big ones. I then found one in my vast collection of parts and had soak and heatthe thing 10 times before I could cleanly drive it out of the bracket. I read your post and all the replies.....sounds like the crap that goes on at my house every weekend. Those sensors are a bitch to get out sometimes. I had one where I removed the bracket, put the bracket in a vise to work it, soaked, heated, worked the thing to the death. It never camem out. I began to hack the sensor up to get it out, and to this day, it is still on my bench as an ugly reminder of how horrible these things could be to deal with at times. I am glad you made progress with your situation. As the hours burn, the blod pressure rises for sure.

Quick Reply: Need help with Reference Sensor Removal