Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83 944 N/A Oil pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:02 AM
83_944
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 944 N/A Oil pressure issue

I have always had a slightly erratic idle on my car but not very bad at all. The peculiar thing is that depending on how much I am pressing on the gas, the oil pressure guage shifts almost like it's a measurement of my idle. The more gas I give it (even in neutral) the more it goes back to normal. If I let the car idle for a long time in one spot or just drive it a lot the oil pressure gauge will drop to less than 1 (out of 5) and the car will shake a slight amount but only when I let go of the gas.

Since I have owned the car I had a lightweight fidanza flywheel put in and a SACHS clutch kit. After the flywheel the idle was slightly rougher due to the decrease in counter balance weight but I've noticed that my car will get very very very hot. All the way to the overheat if I let it sit and idle. If I drive it at a reasonable speed it has no problem staying cool and if I open up the heater to blow through it has no issue. I know for a fact this was not happening before the flywheel and clutch because I used to think the temp gauge was broken because it used to run extremely cool all the time.

Any ideas on what any of this could be or what could be a fix?

The only major problems I know about the engine is that it severely needs a tune up which is about to come and then I have some white smoke and a burnt oil smell after I drive it a little.

It has no detected fluid leaks of any kind and doesn't go through oil. All levels are continually checked and are always normal. I've had the timing belts and all that good stuff redone about 5 thousand miles ago. Air filter is K&N so it's clean and good also.

The water pump has been checked and hand spun and seems to be alright.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 07:23 AM
dmalo810
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple things it could be... head gasket and rod bearings.

Quick Reply: 83 944 N/A Oil pressure issue