Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Intake for 944 - Pictures Included

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for ducting into the nose panel. On the 944S, it already does this...there is a plastic piece running from our airbox into the opening up front. On the 944, you would need to fabricate the system...I'll look at the 86 and try to figure something out later on tonight.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:42 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

It is quite simple. I did this with my 86'. Create a bracket for the AFM and run large diameter flexible carb hose off the AFM into and through the intercooler ducts to your cone filter in the nose panel. If my car wasn't in the shop I would snag a pic and post it.

Christian
Old 06-17-2003, 09:52 PM
944togo
Instructor

Hi Ryans,

I'm open to any product for the 944 N/A that makes more horsepower or improves handling. Keep us posted on the dyno results! I've just got a K&N filter in the stock box now, but inproved the flow to the intake through serious R&D and the latest technology -DUCT TAPE!

Awhile back, someone also posted about venting the front panel (with some nice pictures) and was flamed, but I plan on doing this also, and can't see any reason it couldn't help improve cooling. Hope your cone system actually does improve horsepower.

944to-go
Old 06-17-2003, 09:55 PM
Greg

sorry i just think its ugly. . . .
Old 06-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys crack me up, you should have thrown him out when his first 20 posts were blatant advertising.

And then you pout a bit and tell us that you might not sell us your $250 carbon fiber custom made 944 hoods. And I am not sure I really need a $250 carbon hood, I would honestly expect to pay more for a good quality fiberglass unit, much less a well made carbon. How about you play nice like the man said, and just tell everyone upfront its a business gig?

Why don't you go sell hoods and blinga intakes over at <a href="http://www.corner-carvers.com?" target="_blank">www.corner-carvers.com?</a> They love that ****. By the way, plastic "dragon wings" are a pretty ****-poor concept under a 944/951 hood.

But daaayumm! Th0z3 sh\z5azza5 b3z 5tunn4 4 sh0!
Old 06-17-2003, 11:21 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ryans:
<strong>I was talking to another very reputable manafactuer of body kits and carbon fiber hoods. They told me that If we could move 100 carbon fiber hoods the price break would be $250 plus shipping. I'm not sure now though, with all this flaming.

thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'd take a $250 CF hood in a heartbeat if it was well made / didnt require me to spend 5 hours making it fit.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:20 AM
ryans
Racer

The dyno results weren't so hot. I guess the Porsche Engineers know best.

Maybe I'll make a thread and see who would be interested in the hoods. In the long run it would probably be a pain in the *** to save $400. My hood isn't in the best of shape so we'd need a donor. I've already talked to the manufacturer. They would be fiberglass with CF laid over them. To help save money of course. He said the weight would be from 20-25 pounds. These would not be pieces of crap jerko up there was referring to. This company makes many styles already.

On another note, They are hounding me right now to make interior parts for the 944. They can crank out the small pieces no problem. I haven't figured out what people would want though.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:22 AM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

im in for a hood
Old 06-18-2003, 12:28 AM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:29 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Hey guys, Ryans may be trying walking the line between "944 enthusiast" and "entrepeneur", but there's no reason why he can't be both. While I would have a few suggestions for him about the "proper" way to post, given his apparent vested interest in promoting products for manufactures that advertise with him, I would also wholeheartedly welcome someone with ties to the manufacturing clout that the "ricers" have. Think of the benefits that we might gain by having a friend with those ties. And believe it or not, they do have some pretty trick stuff out there. I am not a fan of the ricer "attitude", but some of them have very serious cars that are fully deserving of our respect.

We tend to look down our collective noses at the ricers, but we seem to be overlooking two very obvious facts. First, they are automotive enthusiasts just like us, and and just as involved, if not more so, in the sport than we sometimes are. Tastes vary, and personally, I am not prepared to be the "taste king" and tell everyone what they should like.

Number two, like I said, they have some serious manufacturing/engineering development going on, and there is a world of opportunity for us to capitalise on as a result. Carbon fiber body panels being one example, as they are able to manufacture parts on a scale unheard of in the Porsche world, hence dropping the price to a much more reasonable level than we usually see.

Lets hold off on casting stones, and think about it for a minute. We would be much better off teaching Ryans what we consider to be acceptable disclosure/behavior on our forums, rather than blasting away at him and having him take his toys to a different sandbox. And Ryans, you might want to check out the TOC for Rennlist...

Love, Peace and Geese for all!
Old 06-18-2003, 12:33 AM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

anyone else notice that every intake for every car model is the same as the one on the 944...whats good enough for a honda must be good enough for a porshe...right?? hahahaha maybe ill stick with my k&n
Old 06-18-2003, 12:33 AM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

anyone else notice that every intake for every car model is the same as the one on the 944...whats good enough for a honda must be good enough for a porshe...right?? hahahaha maybe ill stick with my k&n
Old 06-18-2003, 12:34 AM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

oops
Old 06-18-2003, 12:38 AM
ryans
Racer

Thanks Scott, you truly are an honorable person. I am a car enthusiast, and I do enjoy all types of cars. Japanese or European, I'm there. I'm not an expert when it comes to mechanics though.

Yes I was very happy with this new toy. Just even dyno testing it and trying different configurations etc was fun. I'm talking to the manufactuer now and they are going to redesign it. I'll show pics of the new config and we'll dyno test it again. I'm seeing now that this is all trial and error. If I have time I'll go tommorow.

I wish I would have brought some longer tubes today, just to see how a 2 foot tube would effect the horsepower. Even though I know there is not room for something like this, i'm eager to experiment now.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:46 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

i think to get any gains, you should focus on getting the intake portion to the front panel. cold air is going to provide the biggest hp gain, if any is to be found. also, the porsche crowd tends to be a bit different than the ricer crowd. whereas ricers would go for whatever color and shape stands out the most, we tend to look for understated but effective. anotherwords, if it looks like it could be stock, provides gains in hp, and is quality made, you're likely to find buyers here.

Quick Reply: New Intake for 944 - Pictures Included