Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Intake for 944 - Pictures Included

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand when someone wants to advertise a product to us on the list. I respect that people put time and effort into R&D of parts for our cars...

But to pass off a product advertisement as a satisfied customer of some product, when you are making money off of it...that bugs me.

Now if you were to advertise this intake, like "Hey a company I'm affiliated with developed a cool looking intake for the 944, just wanted to give the heads up on it." I'm sure it would be better respected.

Flame - off for now.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:22 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts
He has a scoop on his hood-only way to keep the engine temp down?
Old 06-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

That intake it ALMOST as gay as Travis's SpiderMan......... Wait, nope MORE..........
Old 06-17-2003, 02:19 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I had a similar style cone intake. I ended up cutting it off the metal pipe, and plumbing it under the front nose panel through the intercooler passageways.

Christian

I believe the S2 has a similar setup under the nose panel.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:32 PM
dave120
Drifting

The S2's intake is right in the front where the intercooler would be. It's about as cold air a setup as you can get..
Old 06-17-2003, 02:38 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good discussion - I could care less about the "dragon intake", but the cold air/warm air stuff is interesting.

From a different post regarding water ingestion into the engine, rennlister Skip stated:

"Also, to prevent this in the future (in case you need to ford a raging river) either remove the intake tube (inside the fender) or drill three 1" holes in the upward portion.... this will keep you from ingesting water."

Good idea, or only to be used if you live in areas prone to downpours? Would this also adversely impact the cold air intake by mixing some warm air from the engine compartment? I had thought about doing this drilling just as insurance to prevent engine water ingestion, but if it has other potential negative impacts, and I don't plan on forging rivers, is it best to leave the stock air intake alone?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 06-17-2003, 02:49 PM
ryans
Racer

Yes I own SROMagazine.com I do not own Weapon-R.com. They hooked me up so I'm hooking them up. I've always had good relations with them and they are open minded about making a product for a vehicle that "Isn't a big seller". I talk to a lot of manufactuers and tell them to make this or that for our car and it's always the same thing. That car is old, it's not a big market etc. I'm just happy to get one company to finally do something.

Of course they might use the picture I gave them, I'm the only one with the intake so far.

I was talking to another very reputable manafactuer of body kits and carbon fiber hoods. They told me that If we could move 100 carbon fiber hoods the price break would be $250 plus shipping. I'm not sure now though, with all this flaming.

thanks
Old 06-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

I would leave it alone. The chances of you taking a 944 through something where water hits that high into the motor are slim...and that would really be the only way it could happen...but as far as a few holes causing adverse effects on the temperature of air entering the intake, I don't think it will matter as much as removing the tubing entirely.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Tadi
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ryans:
<strong>Yes I own SROMagazine.com I do not own Weapon-R.com. They hooked me up so I'm hooking them up. I've always had good relations with them and they are open minded about making a product for a vehicle that "Isn't a big seller".

--snip--

I'm not sure now though, with all this flaming.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Ryan,

Don't immediately assume it's flaming we're doing here. None of us mind products being advertised on the list (to a certain degree - check out all the posts from Huntley/SFR/Guru). What most of us DO mind is being manipulated. You may not have meant to be manipulative with your post, but I would hope that you could see how your initial post could strike that nerve. If you had simply said that they hooked you up with advertising or whatever else and that you liked the product and thought we might like it as well, things would be different. The whole internet commerce thing causes some over-reaching paranoia, you know?
Old 06-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I too apologize for flaming to a degree. This sort of thing gets me as riled up as false-posting on ebay.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:50 PM
ryans
Racer

It's ok guys. I was pretty pumped up when i wrote it. After driving my car around my adrenaline gets flowing. I just called a local shop here and I'm going to go dyno test the intake later this afternoon. I'm thinking when I dyno test I should have my hood closed so it's in a hot enviroment. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Also, make sure the motor is warmed up to running temp before you run it on the dyno. This is when the intake should not be as effective as taking in cold air (when the engine is cold).
Old 06-17-2003, 06:06 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

I have done a few diff intake systems and felt no real power gains. How can that thing add 7HP to the wheels!!
Old 06-17-2003, 06:58 PM
qoncept944
Pro

I don't exactly have the means/knowledge to do it, but eventually I'd like to vent the nose panel in my N/A and put a cone air filter in there, like the S2s. As it stands, the nose is completely empty. The only problem I see is how best to route piping to it with the head light linkage in the way. Anyone else thought about doing this? If you fabricated a bracket for the AFM and moved it forward more you'd have a pretty straight shot from the intake manifold and I think it'd work pretty nice.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ryans:
<strong>I talk to a lot of manufactuers and tell them to make this or that for our car and it's always the same thing. That car is old, it's not a big market etc. I'm just happy to get one company to finally do something.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Having a bunch of companies whose primary audience is street racers say they dont want to make parts for our cars is not a bad thing imho.

anyway...
although im sure no cone filter conversion is doing anything for a n/a 944 if i was going to make a kit i definately wouldnt have thrown an extra 90 degree bend in at the AFM

Quick Reply: New Intake for 944 - Pictures Included