Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q about replacing rubber boot on half-shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 PM
pinetreeporsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q about replacing rubber boot on half-shaft

Found a torn inboard boot, got a new one at the P-shop ($65- plus: OUCH), and crawled under (yeah-- held up in 3 places) fought with the 6 hex-head bolts, got 'em all. Borrowed a split-ring tool after my modified needle-nose failed me, and got the ring off --and the 2 metal zip-strips securing the old boot. (Can I re-ese them, or will they fail when I try to fold them back on themselves? And why doesn't Porsche put new ones in the bag with the boot? I'd hate to have to drive over there again.) BUT I CAN'T get the cv joint to slide off the shaft end, even with the split ring out of the way. WHAT'S the magic solution-- I hate to use a hammer on the back of the cv to drive it off-- can't do the cv on either end of theshaft any good. HELP! Thanks -Chris in the DC 'burbs
Old 07-01-2008, 09:31 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can reuse them, but they are a PITA to get on securely unless you have the specific crimp tool to do them.

If you can't get them to crimp correctly, you should be able to buy generic cv boot clamps at a local parts store for not much.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
pinetreeporsche
Advanced

Originally Posted by billthe3
You can reuse them, but they are a PITA to get on securely unless you have the specific crimp tool to do them.

If you can't get them to crimp correctly, you should be able to buy generic cv boot clamps at a local parts store for not much.

Sounds like a plan, but still wondering why the CV won't slide off the end of the axle half-shaft. Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Buying the boot at the dealer was a mistake. I bought the Lobro OEM boot+grease+snap ring kit from another supplier for $16 each and shipping. Keep it in mind if you need to do another one.

For clamps, I purchased two worm gear screw clamps and thread them in on each other, tightening them evenly.

For removing the CV- hopefully you have someone else around. Remove (cut) the old boot, and clean the excess grease. Grab the CV body in the palm of your hands, with the end of the axle facing upward and the halfshaft between your fingers. Have someone else seat a punch in the hole on the axle, and gently hammer it. This should act like a puller would, and it will remove it if the joint isn't rusted on. Do it over a table, as the halfshaft and other CV will fall down.

Be sure to mark a radius line on the outside of the CV with Testors paint. It'll make assembly take 5 minutes instead of a couple hours.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to quite easily remove the CV by placing a socket (19mm or so, something just a little smaller than the shaft) on the end of the shaft, and while holding the CV with my hand... hitting the socket with a hammer. Took 30 seconds and it was off.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

You got past the hardest part - that greasy circlip slip ring. The rest should be easy.

I put the CV race on my vise with the jaws open enough for the shaft. Then tapped out the shaft.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:17 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A zip tie will work pretty well for the clamps. None of my 3 cars even has that though...Bruce

Quick Reply: Q about replacing rubber boot on half-shaft