Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just to make sure...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:49 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would be a pretty damn boring place if every post started 'Drove my car again today. Worked great! Been like that for the past 5 years. Got the oil changed at Jiffy lube. Bought some tires at Sears. Installed a new Blaupunkt car stereo from Best Buy...."

You get the picture.

Personally, I haven't had anything really go wrong that hasn't gone wrong on every old car I've owned. I was a bit aprehensive to wrench when I bought my car but it turns out that these cars are surprisingly easy to work on. Maybe not as easy as a Jeep, but definitely easier than a Dodge Caravan.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:54 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I think that part of it is that there's no real technical content in "gee my car just drove great today", but a lot of technical discussion can come from "my car makes this noise when i do...." or "how do I replace timing belts?", etc...

it's a 20 year old car, so if things have not been well maintained, then there will be lots to fix. I think its half the fun (or so I tell myself...I bought a car that needed a fair bit of work to get on the road and I've spent even more trying to make it perfect)
Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by cie_lab
This would be a pretty damn boring place if every post started 'Drove my car again today. Worked great! Been like that for the past 5 years. Got the oil changed at Jiffy lube. Bought some tires at Sears. Installed a new Blaupunkt car stereo from Best Buy...."
You kidding? That would spawn an discussion on why you should change your oil yourself, 5 jiffy lube horror stories, 4 pages of the best oil to use, 6 tire and offset questions, 7 previous owner stereo horror stories, and two posts on why Best Buy sux
it turns out that these cars are surprisingly easy to work on. Maybe not as easy as a Jeep, but definitely easier than a Dodge Caravan.
I dunno, some of the stuff is a pain on a Caravan, but the common maintenance stuff seems well thought out. I thought on my '99 that oil filter placement couldn't get any better; easy to reach, then in my '02 they changed it so it hangs straight down - no almost spillage at all!

Oil filter relocation kit for the 944 is on my list for "someday"
Old 06-26-2008, 07:07 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ok ok...+1 on the oil filter relocation

Thats pretty much the only thing thats a pain in the nuts to do. Its a horribe mess every time, no matter whos advise you take, how many holes you punch in it (or none), wrap the wal-mart bag over it, use 3 boxes of rags.....it will make a mess of your engine bay, and your driveway. But everything else is really easy to work on. Even if you have fat American size hands lol.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:36 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, there's pretty much always something broken/not functioning perfectly on my car. Still, I love it.

I'm about to spend a bunch of money on it though... Oh well.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:25 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has been bullett proof, I do most of the work myself and its been a blast, I drive it to and from track events and I have driven it across the country a couple of times. I drove it from Seattle to Kentucky, Kentucky to Florida and back(And drove 100+MPH on Daytona while there for RR3)and drove from KY to TX no problem at all. Its off the road now however for a much needed clutch job(The clutch was 13 years old and had 130K on it plus numerous Autox')Car has 188K on it and the interior and paint are all original and the dash has no cracks(Rare for 944's and older Germans cars) and the seats have no rips in them, it looks like an 80K mile car.

Find one that has been well taken care of and you will be fine. Good luck
Old 06-27-2008, 03:42 AM
MrWrong
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotta break my virgin post here and chime in.

I was just given my 84 944 for free cause it didn't run after the PO broke the timing belt and tried to swap his own head about 4 years ago. "If you can make it run its yours".

So far I think I've got about $300 in it, not too bad on a student budget.

Now all I need is for the dealership to hurry up with the balance shaft cap seals.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
ok ok...+1 on the oil filter relocation

Its a horribe mess every time, no matter whos advise you take, how many holes you punch in it (or none), wrap the wal-mart bag over it,
Actually, I was just razzin' a bit on the oil filter thing, though a relocation kit could make life easier. The plastic bag worked great for me - just make sure there are no holes in the bag and you have the bag pulled up tight below the filter, loosen and let it drain out, then remove Just a few easily wiped drips after.

Originally Posted by MrWrong
I've gotta break my virgin post here and chime in.

I was just given my 84 944 for free cause it didn't run after the PO broke the timing belt and tried to swap his own head about 4 years ago. "If you can make it run its yours".
Sweet deal
You have the title, right?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ughugh
Well i've been reading, and almost every post i see something is broken... so honestly, do you guys like owning these cars or do they break all the time? i mean, i LOVE the 944 body style, but im starting to get worried about the parts... is it expensive if i just buy the parts and do the work myself??
I love both of my 944's. My Stock 88 Turbo S Street car and my 84 944 spec race car.

I could post pictures like this all day. (And don't think I have not considered it), but I think even that would get boring after a while

Quick Reply: Just to make sure...