Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love it when a plan comes together

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:08 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I love it when a plan comes together

I took the car out for a spirited little drive last night and all I can say is… I love this car!
I put 951 sways on with all new bushings, changed the brake fluid, and adjusted the toe on the front wheels. It feels like a new car. The new sways keep it much flatter and the new bushings make the whole car feel more responsive and solid. It’s hard to believe the difference the bushings make in the feel of the car. If you have old rotted bushings on your car, replace them. You’ll be glad you did.
While they don’t have the power of 951 or 928 brakes, the NA’s brakes do respond very well to new fluid and a proper bleeding. They are much better than most other cars brakes when they’re in good shape.
While I was under the car I noticed that one front wheel was toed out about a half inch while the other was pointed straight ahead. I adjusted it pretty close to straight, but I need to get it professionally aligned.
I re-tensioned the belts with the Kricket and I’m pretty confident that the tension is correct. If anybody needs to know, I set the cam belt to 35 lbs. and the balance belt to 28 lbs. If somebody wants to bring a 9201 to the 944 Fest, I’ll volunteer my car for a 9201/Kricket comparison. I can get those belt covers off in about 10 minutes flat!
All in all it’s been a good week. The car has responded well to a little elbow grease. I’m just glad I got all the under car maintenance done last night because my floor jack blew a seal and puked out all it’s fluid just as I was lowering the car.
The only major things I have left to do are fixing my sunroof (broken cable tube) and the windshield washers. The bottle has a leak and I’m going to try to put some kind of plastic bag in it as a liner. Kind of like an inner tube for a tire. If anyone’s done anything like that, I’d like to hear about it.
The way the car is running now I may not want to sell it. Maybe I can take up a collection to buy a nice 968 engine to swap in!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:34 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Congrats,

i'm glad you got it all together, now you can just drive it and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Nothing like a job well done and a victory lap to celebrate....
Old 05-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
And we were just talking about that floor jack, too. That was a hell of a list of stuff to be done that I saw on the refrigerator, so if you did those, you've earned it. And you've got a few days to enjoy it all before the family comes home, if it doesn't rain of course !
Old 05-21-2003, 11:16 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we jinxed that lousy jack.
Where did you say you got yours, Wade? Was it at Sam's?
Old 05-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Yes, Pete, it was Sam's. Pretty good deal, too. 3.5 ton, nice rubber pad on it, goes all the way up to the bottom of the car on first pump, think it was $50-$60. It's even blue to match the furnishings in my palatial garage. But I'm not going to dis' my old K-Mart special though, because before it puked I got a lot of work done with it.

Quick Reply: I love it when a plan comes together