Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure relief valve alignment, FYI

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:55 PM
p_tothe_g
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure relief valve alignment, FYI

Some intersesting info for you folks on using the special alignment tool for aligning you OPRV and Cooler housing. Previous owner of my car had the oil-cooler resealed about 5k before I bought it. I had posted a question about "high" oil pressure, my pressure would not drop below 4-bar at idle when "hot", I also had a coolant leak and an oil leak coming from the oil cooler (thankfully no mixing inside the housing). I was loosing about 1-qt of oil and about double in coolant every 2-300 miles, NOT GOOD. What I found was a relatively ugly repair. The top most bolt (just below #1 exhaust primary) was broken off in the block. I think this happened during the first repair because they used a ton of RTV along with the cooler seal to attempt to make up for getting the housing tight. I'll just say that didn't work.

I had posted a question about using the tool, some said it could be done with the OPRV itself. I do not advise, because it can pivot off-axis in its mount (nut). This I did not know, and once I realised this, I ordered the tool. And after some creative bolt extraction for the broken bolt, cleaned up the mess and reassembled. And guess what....My oil pressure is now in "normal" ranges for my mileage. Cold and off-idle is just below 5-bar, and at idle when hot, am now right around 3 bar or just below (almost 2-bar lower than before). And on top of that, NO LEAKS

So an FYI for you DIY'ers, use the tool; save your OPRV, bearings, and seals.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Nothing wrong with using the tool, but if you have a once piece OPRV, the tool is not "required." I used my OPRV to align the housing and had no issues. Sorry the PO didn't do things right in your case!

-Darwi

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure relief valve alignment, FYI