Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can anyone tell me how much current a cd player pulls when the car is off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 06:18 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post can anyone tell me how much current a cd player pulls when the car is off?

i'm pretty sure it should be 0 or very very little... the battery is dead every time i go back to the car. the alternator works (it is brand new), the battery works (i have a second one i am going to test just in case it really is the battery not holding any charge). well, i tested the current being pulled from the battery when the car is off and it was 1.57 A. i thought that was a bit high... anyway, i traced it to the fuse that the cd player uses. i know that cd players draw continuous power (to save radio stations, memory functions) but i thought that it was so miniscule that my DMM wouldn't hardly read it. am i right with the cd player pulling to many Amps? (currently letting the car sit with the cd player not plugged in... to see if the battery will hold the charge.)
Old 11-02-2002, 06:23 PM
Deepice
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1.57 amps is way to much draw...when the CD is off...is the CD on a dedicated fuse or does it share it with something else?
Old 11-02-2002, 06:26 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have much help on what exactly your CD player should pull, but 1.6 amps is a LOT! Way too much. You are never going to keep that battery charged if you leave the car for long. Could your amp be on also?
Old 11-02-2002, 08:45 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats what i thought. no, the amp i unplugged because that was my first guess...
i am begining to think it isn't even the cd player, but something else thaT runs of the same fuse. oh well, to dark to see anymore tonight.

thanks!

Quick Reply: can anyone tell me how much current a cd player pulls when the car is off?