Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 12:19 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Oil leak

Last time I parked at my friend's house, there was a small oil spot on the driveway. When I got home, I looked under the car and saw a little drop of oil on the bottom of the covers. I took the covers off last night, and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the upper balance shaft. There's a bunch of slimy stuff below it. Anyway, how hard is it to replace that seal? How much would a mechanic charge if I were already bringing it in for retensioning?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:36 AM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the seals involves a lot more work than only re tensioning the belts. You need to remove a lot of parts just to get to them. Depending on your mechanic he may even remove the radiator to get the crankshaft bolt out. Take a look at <a href="http://www.clarks-garage.com" target="_blank">www.clarks-garage.com</a> for the entire procedure.

I think it's a days work, minimum of 6-8 hours. The parts aren't expense only installing them is very time consuming. I would recommend to replace all the seals, O-rings etc of the balance shafts and oil-pump. Also have your mechanic take a good look at the water pump, because replacing it now would save a lot of extra costs in the future.

Labor and parts should come close to $750,- This includes all the seals, O-rings etc. Replacement of the water pump is not included

PS It would cost this much were I live, the amount may differ in the states, ask around
Old 05-21-2003, 09:23 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

are you talking about the seal on the front of the balance shaft, or the seal between the housing and the block, or the disk at the rear of the housing. The front seal is no big deal, but the other two require a lot of disassembly, and will be expensive.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:26 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by MHT:
<strong>are you talking about the seal on the front of the balance shaft, or the seal between the housing and the block, or the disk at the rear of the housing. The front seal is no big deal, but the other two require a lot of disassembly, and will be expensive.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'm not sure. There's some oil gunk/residue inside the belt cover coming from the upper BS, so I would think it would be the front seal. Where are the other two seals, are they internal?
Old 05-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I had the front of my motor completely resealed last year on my 944NA. All the balancer/timing belt seals were replaced along with the races they sit in. I beleive the total was around $900 including parts and labor. You might as well spend another $60 and replace the timing belt and balancer belt while you are there.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:09 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

The belts, waterpump, and rollers were all replaced last fall, and I haven't even put 1500 miles on them yet. I'm not worried about those unless oil got on the belts and ruined them. I should be due for the retension in another 600 or so miles, I'll see what the mechanics say.

Quick Reply: Oil leak