Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a car with a salage title.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002 | 05:21 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Is redline the same guy that sells the screw in rollbars for hte 944?

the guy that fixed the S2 in rothmans link is a maniac. not in a bad way. he did an a1 job. how many body shops will do that?

Hey ian, if the damage wasnt that bad on the salvage car, maybe it was a stolen recovery. maybe the thiefs did minor 5-6k body damage and stripped the interior.

some months ago a guy was looking at a cream puff 968 with a salvage title. turns out the interior was gutted. he got a deal on that car!

just push the insurance co to pay a little more.

also guys, how important is the provenance of a car/title when the incident happened 10 years ago? on a two year old car cut the value, but on a 14+ year old car the salvage in the title will be less important than overall condition.

Just make sure you can insure it for what you will have into it.
Old 05-08-2002 | 05:37 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Ian,
Where's that car at?? If you don't want it let me know by email.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 05-09-2002 | 12:09 AM
951and944S
Race Car

[quote]Nope, it was in the very real my car burnt to the ground just a week ago sort of way. And i'm just looking for ways to get back into a 951 <hr></blockquote>

Seriously, I thought you meant in the jinx type of way.
I wasn't trying to belittle your experience.
Why would I.? I rebuild salvage cars Ian, as a sideline. Right now I have two that were fire victims, so trust me I know what your car looked like. Below is a picture of a car I purchased this weekend, all the way up to Pennsyvania from New Orleans by 1/2 ton truck and trailer, 2500 miles round trip in 2 1/2 days..
Is your plan to reclaim your car.?
I have an rough '87 GR with dented rt rear 1/4 panel, car runs and boost, but on three cylinders, (bent valve). Black interior, rough.
I'd be willing to let you have it cheap for a project if you have parts from your old car to make it right. Has polished dish (928) wheels, tranny or at least the shifter is sloppy.
The car was stolen at one time by enemies of a police officer who owned the car once and they razor slashed some of the interior. The PO replaced the seats and door panels. 150K.

BTW fire..? Yeah I know fire, check below at the latest car I referred to above. PO had fuel lines replaced two weeks prior and then it went up in flames. I'm building a PCA track car from this, body and interior are perfect, and I planned on doing a sister car with the GR one for my biz partner, but he has other financial plans..

Cheers
Old 05-09-2002 | 12:27 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yikes!

And I thought mine was bad!

Old 05-09-2002 | 09:46 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by 951and944S:
<strong>

Seriously, I thought you meant in the jinx type of way.
I wasn't trying to belittle your experience.
Why would I.? I rebuild salvage cars Ian, as a sideline. Right now I have two that were fire victims, so trust me I know what your car looked like. Below is a picture of a car I purchased this weekend, all the way up to Pennsyvania from New Orleans by 1/2 ton truck and trailer, 2500 miles round trip in 2 1/2 days..
Is your plan to reclaim your car.?
I have an rough '87 GR with dented rt rear 1/4 panel, car runs and boost, but on three cylinders, (bent valve). Black interior, rough.
I'd be willing to let you have it cheap for a project if you have parts from your old car to make it right. Has polished dish (928) wheels, tranny or at least the shifter is sloppy.
The car was stolen at one time by enemies of a police officer who owned the car once and they razor slashed some of the interior. The PO replaced the seats and door panels. 150K.

BTW fire..? Yeah I know fire, check below at the latest car I referred to above. PO had fuel lines replaced two weeks prior and then it went up in flames. I'm building a PCA track car from this, body and interior are perfect, and I planned on doing a sister car with the GR one for my biz partner, but he has other financial plans..

Cheers</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey could you get me some photos of this car? It might be along the lines of what I'm looking for. You can email me at ian.klass@coastaldiscount.com if that would make things easier.
Old 05-09-2002 | 08:35 PM
951and944S
Race Car

perry, while no fire is a laghing matter, I must agree with,
[quote] Yikes!

And I thought mine was bad! <hr></blockquote>

That fire you show there looks like a firecraker went off or something.... JK

I purchased this car like this, so at least I didn't have to live through the "Oh S#!T" part, it must hurt tremendously.
Most people give up, and that's where I come in, take em off their hands and bring em back. My last fire job (only PS related) was small and contained to the right front only, didn't even waste the paint on the hood (Car finished and shown below)..
I've followed your story and take my hat off to you for the things you have persoveared (sp), we must have something in common, I do ALL my own work including body and paint, and if I'd realized before I left that you were in CincY, I'd have stopped on my way to Pittsburg and shook your hand....

Cheers Perry
Old 05-09-2002 | 08:52 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Ian, second of what may be most consecutive post.

That car you posted above looks great LOL....
I have one just like it, with polished Cup wheels.
For a minute I said Hey..! I never posted this car for sale.....

Perry here's my light fire recovery with fresh Glasurit SS Urethane Job....complete with bird droppings right after wash job....LOL

That's my '87 S to the left.......
Old 05-09-2002 | 09:24 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Ian here's the red car I mentioned last night, next to it is the white fire damaged car from above, ( hoodshot)

It has a bad wheel bearing, rough interior and a dented rear 1/4 panel. A dent in the top of both front fenders. I could fix the body and repaint if someone is interested.
The shifter feels sloppy and I haven't investigated it yet.

Here's a front shot, you can see the dish wheels, they're perfect and polished, and you can make out the dent on top the fender....
I paid 3K for this car with an extra engine from an '86 with forged rods, but I'm keeping that.
Drove the car on the trailer.
BTW I'll have 2 fenders from the white car, since I'm going with fiberglass front on it.

Here's a shot of the engine, running/boosting, but has 1 cylinder with a bent valve.
Driving this car from my home to my shop nearby, I flat out left my friend's Mazda 626 with only three cylinders...

PO tie-wired the airbox, but i have another.

Car as it sits-$2000
with head repaired-$2500
with two fenders included-$2800
I'll fix the 1/4 panel and paint
GR for $2500 add.
Completed car with all issues repaired and second hand good interior in black, $7500

Cheers

944t@bellsouth.net
Old 05-10-2002 | 12:35 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

As much as I like working on my car..... I am not sure if I would do another one. Only way is if it was contained to the engine bay such as mine. 1 flame gets into the pass compartment and I won't touch it!

Guess that says a lot for you. And gorgeous job on the GR car!
Old 05-10-2002 | 01:23 AM
951and944S
Race Car

When I start a car, it's all over for me by then, that's why it's so hard to part with a finished car after becoming so intimate with it.
I 'm quite sure you know what I mean.
I finished the GR one several months ago, and have had several more than resonable offers and I keep putting off selling it.
I purchased two other '87 951's within 3 months to fill the void after 10 months of steadily working on one.
Bought, repaired and sold an '88 S, in the meantime.
My plan was to build two sister PCA racers, but my biz partner/freind has too many interest.
I've secured sponsor $ to turn the white (fire shot above) car into pretty much whatever I want, so I'm considering a 924GTP replica.
Thus the extra car on my hands, the red one in the latter pics above.
I already have a daily 944S and three 951's are just too much at present, but I'll store the latter car for later if necessary.

BTW, great results on your GR depth and shine.
I was going to warn about using the drain pan for a wet sanding reservoir, especially if following with more paint.
That galvanized material is usually treated with an oily residue and I'd hate to see you get a case of the "fisheye"........

Best wishes..

Quick Reply: Buying a car with a salage title.....