Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window limiter/need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:28 PM
ArcticSteve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power window limiter/need help

Got one of those pesky problems. This is for a 90 S2, but I'm thinking the power window guts are all the same from 86.

OK, hit switch for driver's door and window goes down as usual. As soon as the window disappears into the door I here bad sounding "clank, clank, clank". Didn't think much of it, but I knew it wasn't right. Go to close window and motor engages, but again same sound and window doesn't move. Fantastic . 30 miles from my garage and it's soon to pour as thunder is now coming on.

Well with a Phillips screw driver I got everything off the door and managed to free the window. Now it's working, but when you raise it and it's at the top of the door frame it makes the same sound. When I peer down inside the window a round sprocketed gear is getting rotated beyond were it wants to go and it does thing twisting thing off it's axis and hence the big noise.

So my question is what device limits the travel of the window? What tells the motor to stop when the window has reached either full up or full down. I can't see any limit switches or extra wiring. Just a pair going into the motor.

Any ideas on this one, Steve
Old 06-19-2008, 12:03 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought there was a regulator on the motor...I emailed you something from Clark's garage too...it doesn't show a regulator/limiter either...perhaps the switch itself is dirty and sticking on...try spraying electrical contact cleaner in it maybe?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
unclebobg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My window on my '87 944T works fine until it gets to the bottom and goes below doorsill level. Then I get one big CLUNK sound. Looking at it with the door panel off, I see the whole window lifter assembly shudder visibly when it makes the clunk. I'm lost.

Anyone help?

By the way, the window continues to work, going up and down when needed. Just doing the big shudder (or jump) at the end.

Quick Reply: Power window limiter/need help