Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944/2 Manual Rack & Tie Rods Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008 | 03:24 PM
originalspaceman
AutoX

Default 944/2 Manual Rack & Tie Rods Issue

Here it goes...

I purchased a manual rack complete with everything except the outer tie rods to put in my 1988 944. This rack is from an '86. I know that the later offset is different, but I am having strange issues regarding this. I measured my old rack from pin to pin at 54.5". When I measure my new rack WITHOUT outer tie-rods it is 50" from end to end. So I was going to use the method of threading my late PS tie rod ends onto the early MS tie rods, but the shortest I can make the pin to pin is 57", which is way too long. So, it seems that for some strange reason, I can use the early outside threaded tie rod ends and get the proper length, but I want to know why! Is my rack different? Are my inner tie rods different? Does my '88 actually have an early suspension on it for some reason? I just don't get it and everyone I talk to thinks I'm crazy. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin Smith
Old 06-16-2008 | 03:31 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Look at your aluminum control arms. If they have a 3" +/- hole cast into them behind the sway bar hookup you have late offset suspension.
Old 06-16-2008 | 03:50 PM
originalspaceman
AutoX

Interesting... so I have have the A-Arm without the hole that explains why the early rack works on my car? I will check when I go home for lunch.
Old 06-16-2008 | 04:26 PM
944CS
Drifting

if you want the proper late offset manual rack tie rods, I have a brand new pair.
Old 06-16-2008 | 05:04 PM
originalspaceman
AutoX

Originally Posted by 944CS
if you want the proper late offset manual rack tie rods, I have a brand new pair.
I checked my arms and they are late offset with the hole in the middle. I wonder if my tie rods are already late offset. When you say you have late offset tie rods, is it the inner rod or the outer rod that is actually different?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2008 | 06:41 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

You do know that the tie rods are different between the manual racks and the power racks right? Early Offset Manual and Early Offset Power are two different lengths, same for Late Manual and Late Power. I am not sure off hand what the length difference is but I know it is there.
Old 06-16-2008 | 06:48 PM
originalspaceman
AutoX

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
You do know that the tie rods are different between the manual racks and the power racks right? Early Offset Manual and Early Offset Power are two different lengths, same for Late Manual and Late Power. I am not sure off hand what the length difference is but I know it is there.
Interesting... This is getting so confusing. I wish the PET would explain and show more than it is. I need a giant spreadsheet of part #'s and application! I ordered the early tie-rod ends because even though this is an '88 with late arms, but a manual rack with early inner rods, all of the measurements keep coming up the same and they should work. I guess I'll find out on Wednesday. I still don't understand how they can be right, though!
Old 06-16-2008 | 07:30 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by originalspaceman
Interesting... This is getting so confusing. I wish the PET would explain and show more than it is. I need a giant spreadsheet of part #'s and application! I ordered the early tie-rod ends because even though this is an '88 with late arms, but a manual rack with early inner rods, all of the measurements keep coming up the same and they should work. I guess I'll find out on Wednesday. I still don't understand how they can be right, though!
If you search, there was a thread about using threaded rods to extend the early tie-rods for use with the offset setup. At least I think thats what it was.
Old 06-16-2008 | 07:31 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

944-LT1 posted it.
Old 06-16-2008 | 07:38 PM
originalspaceman
AutoX

Originally Posted by empiredsn
944-LT1 posted it.
Yeah... that's how I got to where I am now. 944-LT1 is a buddy of mine. I used his "patented" threaded rod technique, even with the same exact piece of rod he used, and ended up with wheels that look like this:

\ /
| |
Old 06-16-2008 | 08:13 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

944-LT1 is a buddy of mine. I used his "patented" threaded rod technique..

I am going to have to call dibs on the threaded rod idea..

From 1/14/2006

If you look at the video close-up of the tie rod ends on these, they are male and the tie rods themselves are female. This means that you could get two short pieces of All Thread, 4 lock nuts and some power steering tie rod ends (female) and extend the length of these arms to be used with late offset.
Simple "Home Depot" mod that would work well for a rack like this.
Old 06-16-2008 | 08:25 PM
originalspaceman
AutoX

I am going to have to call dibs on the threaded rod idea..

From 1/14/2006
That's just fine.

He's just the first person that told it to me.... So does anyone have any idea how, what seems to be an early rack with early ends fits on my 88?
Old 06-16-2008 | 09:10 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

That's just fine.

He's just the first person that told it to me.... So does anyone have any idea how, what seems to be an early rack with early ends fits on my 88?
you are correct in that it makes no sense at all why an early offset set up would work- they are VERY different lengths, like several inches.
Old 06-16-2008 | 09:14 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Yeah... that's how I got to where I am now. 944-LT1 is a buddy of mine
He is a stand up guy. He has taken the time to go over his conversion extensively with me, to the point that I'm going to be doing one myself thanks to his help.
Old 06-16-2008 | 09:18 PM
originalspaceman
AutoX

Originally Posted by empiredsn
He is a stand up guy. He has taken the time to go over his conversion extensively with me, to the point that I'm going to be doing one myself thanks to his help.
Well! Then, I look forward to seeing you on the other forum.

Quick Reply: 944/2 Manual Rack & Tie Rods Issue