Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console removal help please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center console removal help please.

Early interior, it's a 924S. To replace my carpet I guess I need to remove my center console. Does anybody know how to? All I can see are the two bolts under the ash tray.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:56 PM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out www.clarks-garage.com go to garage shop manual and go to "D" for dash...85.5 and newer has a dash removal that includes pics of the console removal.

Just recently found this site...lots of great stuff.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

um... I'm trying to remember what I did.

Take out the gauges and stuff and there should be some screws behind them. It's pretty easy. I figured out how to take it out in about half an hour.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marcquito
um... I'm trying to remember what I did.

Take out the gauges and stuff and there should be some screws behind them. It's pretty easy. I figured out how to take it out in about half an hour.
Im really scared becuase off all the wiring. Is it really bad? Whenever I take those two screws off, and pull on the upper part of the console, I feel like i'm going to brake it.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

I remember what you're talking about. It seems to be held on there somehow. I really can't remember what I did... I disassembled most everything to try and see what was holding it. It was nearly impossible to see. If you don't figure it out, I'll take a look at my center console and see if there are any hints of removal and get back to you. I really didn't plan on putting the console back in, so I showed no mercy during removal. Luckily, I didn't break anything. It came out easy enough.

If you do break anything, I'll send you a replacement you can have. Just pay for shipping.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 AM
544DRS
Instructor

I've had mine off and on quite a bit recently. There's different places where the center console attaches. Mine ('83 944) had screws underneath the ash tray, and on the sides. Even with the screws out, you'll have a helluva time getting it out, unless you unhook the heater stuff by taking off the ***** and face plate, unscrewing the levers from the center console, then pulling it out just a bit to unhook the gauges and lights.

It always is a finger-numbing b***h for me. My dexterity is poor, and some of this stuff reaches the outer limits for me.

Nick
Old 06-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 544DRS
I've had mine off and on quite a bit recently. There's different places where the center console attaches. Mine ('83 944) had screws underneath the ash tray, and on the sides. Even with the screws out, you'll have a helluva time getting it out, unless you unhook the heater stuff by taking off the ***** and face plate, unscrewing the levers from the center console, then pulling it out just a bit to unhook the gauges and lights.

It always is a finger-numbing b***h for me. My dexterity is poor, and some of this stuff reaches the outer limits for me.

Nick
Yeah, I took out all of my heater controls, too. It helps a lot. I'm not sure if it was necessary, but it sure did make it easier.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 AM
544DRS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marcquito
Yeah, I took out all of my heater controls, too. It helps a lot. I'm not sure if it was necessary, but it sure did make it easier.
Oh yeah, it makes it easier. Those heater control cables don't have much slack, nor does the rest of that wiring. If I were ambitious, more knowledgeable, and more altruistic, I'd lengthen all of them, just so the next poor SOB who has to pull off that center console doesn't have to feel my pain.

Nick
Old 06-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Marcquito, I don't have much patients, so it is likely I will brake something. So i'll let you know on that replacement part, lol. So, I found all the bolts and all. Now just to try it. It's too late right know, but i'll do it tommarow. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Gah!!!!!!!!!!! This thing is a PITA!!!!!! I've removed everything that I was told to. But i'm stuck on the radio, it is an aftermarket Eclipse cd player. Does that have to come out?

Quick Reply: Center console removal help please.