Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backside of the fuse boxes/relay boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:45 PM
544DRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backside of the fuse boxes/relay boxes?

After I reinstalled my dashboard last week, I'd occasionally hear strange sounds, something like a relay clicking...or something like two wires shorting. I've got the dashboard off and have the fuse boxes and relay boxes accessible. Here's what I'm noticing:

1. My relays are kind of "loose." They wiggle a bit and wobble when installed.

2. The wire terminations, plugged into the back of fuse slots and relay slots, expose enough metal where I believe shorts could happen, especially when that seething mass of wire is tucked back into its place and the dashboard is reinstalled.

3. Five or six wires have been "spliced" several times. Probably previous stereo/alarm installs?

So, here's what I'm wondering. Given my wiring's fragile state, is it possible to detach the wire termination from the back of the relay plug/fuse box? These connectors look like they'd come off, but they don't come off easily, and I don't want to screw something off doing something foolish.

I want to clean the connections good, apply some Deoxit, and get everything tight before I re-reinstall the dash next week.

Man, I'd appreciate some help. Thanks!

Nick

Last edited by 544DRS; 06-15-2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Poor writing.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:44 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wiring blocks do come off the bottom of the relay board. On the front end of the relay board (left in pic), there is a black plastic tab that slides forward, releasing the inner edges of the wiring blocks. To release the outer edges of the wiring blocks, there are small black plastic hooks on each block, gently press those outward and the wiring blocks can then be pulled straight off the board. Both the wiring blocks and the relay board positions are lettered so you know where each block goes.

Just a word to the wise...there is a lot that can go wrong messing with 20 year old wiring bundles.
Attached Images   
Old 06-14-2008, 12:32 AM
544DRS
Instructor

Originally Posted by shiners780
The wiring blocks do come off the bottom of the relay board. On the front end of the relay board (left in pic), there is a black plastic tab that slides forward, releasing the inner edges of the wiring blocks. To release the outer edges of the wiring blocks, there are small black plastic hooks on each block, gently press those outward and the wiring blocks can then be pulled straight off the board. Both the wiring blocks and the relay board positions are lettered so you know where each block goes.

Just a word to the wise...there is a lot that can go wrong messing with 20 year old wiring bundles.
I really appreciate the help. I'm going to take it easy and not mess with anything I don't have to...still, I can see now where a couple of red wires have shorted, so I have to do something.

Thanks again,

Nick
Old 06-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780

As is installing a dash w/the battery connected! Yikes!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:27 AM
544DRS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bart
As is installing a dash w/the battery connected! Yikes!
I'm glad I didn't do that. Then again, perhaps I would have heard the snap-crackle before I was doing 70 MPH on the interstate if I'd left the battery connected!

EDIT: OH...after reading my first post in this thread, I could see how you'd get the idea that I installed the dash with the battery connected. I should have started the post with "after." Mea culpa.

Nick

Last edited by 544DRS; 06-15-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: My original post was written poorly.

Quick Reply: Backside of the fuse boxes/relay boxes?