Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you pressure test your intake plumbing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How do you pressure test your intake plumbing?

I'll post here since I wasn't getting any response on the turbo board. I beleive that I still have a vacuum leak but I can't find it. I would like to pressurize the plumbing and find the darn leak. What's the best method to do this? I'm thinking that I could use an empty Motive bleeder(which i have) and pressure the lines that way? Any thoughts?
Old 05-20-2003, 02:08 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do some searches, there have been lots of discussions on locating leaks. I have an aftermarket boost gauge with both vacuum and boost on it and mine runs about 12 inches vacuum at initial cold idle, 16 at warm and when the idle stabilizer or whatever acts up and my idle goes to about 1600rpm, I get between 18 and 20 inches.

There are some thoughts on using non flammable fluid to spray around boots, etc. and when the engine acts up (vacuum pulling it in) then you know you've found the leak.

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Mike -

Get yourself a new fuel filter and change it on the car. Then cut the old one in half, and remove the fittings from the end. Insert an air compressor chuck in there, or a tire valve (both fit perfectly) and then put the new tool into the boot where the air flow meter connects to. Notice the almost perfect fit.

Pressurize to about 7psi for turbos - 2-3 for NA's, and spray all connections with soapy water. You'll find every leak.

HTH!
Old 05-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

awesome...thanks for the how-to. Since i have to replace the fuel filter anyways that seems like a cheap way to go.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:22 PM
threesticks1
Instructor

The exhaust has to be plugged also.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:13 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

OK, got it all hooked up last night. I ended up using the new fuel filter(uncut) to plug the J-boot and used my air compressor with fill gauge/line(nozzle like you see at a gas station) and hooked it up to the banjo bolt. I was able to feed air into the system slowly to pressurize it just a bit.

Results: One leak towards the #4 cylinder where the stock boost pressure line goes. Fixed that, but now it sounds like i have an enormous leak at the air/oil separator. Every time i feed air i hear it escaping into the crankcase i beleive. I don't see any external bubbles.

Is this normal?
Is my oil separator toast?

I plugged the separator line at the J-boot but it was still getting air into the separator through another line(i'm assuming the smaller lines).
Old 05-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

threesticks -

No - it doesn't - as long as you have a good continuous source of air. I recommend NOT plugging the exhaust so as not to build a heck of a lot of pressure up in the intake/crankcase.

Mike -

If you don't see bubbles, then chances are you're fine. The Oil/Air sep has a hose from the "J" boot to it, and then vents into the crankcase at the bottom. That's what you're hearing - prolly....

HTH!

Quick Reply: How do you pressure test your intake plumbing?