Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 02:04 PM
ColinM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch/Drivetrain?

I get a shudder either from the clutch or the reat of the drivetrain when I down shift and let the clutch out. It doesn't happen all the time, and when I let out the clutch gently with gas to bring the engine up to speed it minimizes it.

Does anyone have an idea what I should be looking for?

TIA
ColinM
86 951
Stone gray metallic
Old 06-02-2003, 02:07 PM
ColinM
Intermediate

That should be "rest" of the drivetrain.....oooops.

Also, it feels like it's coming from the rear of the car....hard to tell though.

Tks,
ColinM
Old 06-02-2003, 09:51 PM
ColinM
Intermediate

Anyone.....Bueller.....Bueller?

(Bump)
Old 06-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Engine and/or transmission mounts is my first thought.... Spent a lot of time trying to get a BIG shudder out of a 928, turned the flywheel and replaced the clutch, still does it. I read that the porsche engineers had a hard time getting the shudder out of the cars when designing the drivetrain system we have and had to VERY STRATEGICALLY design and place the mounts to get rid of it. So if they are worn, that shudder may come back. That is the next try on my 928 (when it gets running again)
Old 06-03-2003, 01:54 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

That is the exact symptoms I had when I lost a few teeth off of my pinion. At first was a noise only at decel. Then that got louder. then it moved to accel and decel.. a short while later after changing the trans lube and repack of the cv joints. I barely got it home lots of ratcheting noise.. all in about 35 miles of driving. I assume I lost one tooth then another then another till they were catching on the ring.. against the transaxle housing. when I drained the gear lube the oil was clean... Hope that is not your problem..

edit, This all started after a spirited launch. when I jacked up the rear with the trans in gear I could move the back wheels and hear near the same clunking as I moved one or the other back and forth. the amount of movement was substantial.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:06 PM
PaulK
Instructor

I am going nuts with a shudder on downshifting only into 2nd, or, when in 2nd, letting the clutch out if the revs are not matched. Is that the same sympton?

Clutch has been replaced, flywheel turned, plus new tranny mount, still doing it! Porsche dealer wants me to break in clutch for 1000 miles to see if it goes away.

GRRRRR

Quick Reply: Clutch/Drivetrain?