Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making lemonade - S2 engine into late 8V chassis

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 12:53 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Making lemonade - S2 engine into late 8V chassis

Well, I pulled the head off my '88 8V engine to see what the deal is with the low compression and blow-by, and found that at least one piston ring broke and gouged the bore something fierce in cyl #3. #2 is OK except for lots of scoring, and I haven't removed the flywheel lock and looked at #1 and #4 yet. No point, really, since #3 is bady gouged.

So one option is to have the block bored and rebuild the engine with O/S pistons. As far as I know, an O/S piston set for '88 (higher compression) is about a grand.

Another option is to get a replacement block from an '87 or '88 8-valve car and build the engine back up with a new block and my original pistons (assuming they aren't scuffed up and need replacement anyway). So figure $500 for a real nice '87-'88 block, plus maybe new pistons anyway.

Another option, and one I've kicked around on this forum before, is swapping in an S2 engine like was done in Excellence magazine in 2001.

I have a significant investment - hah, "investment" - of time and money in the rest of the car. So junking it and buying something else isn't an attractive option.

Therefore, since the costs of rebuilding my 8V engine just went up a bit, the S2 motor becomes quite attractive, as does the +50hp. The additional expense is offset somewhat by the fact that I may be able to sell some of the '88 8V parts - like the pistons if they're OK, the ECU, etc.

What I want to explore now is the possibility of finding a well maintained low mileage S2 engine. It would probably have to come from a wrecked car since I need the air cleaner, intake, exhaust manifolds (for reasons I won't go into, I have a complete S2 exhaust system), fuel lines, and wiring harness/ECU.

The obvious sources are the PartsHeavens, the PAPs, the 20th Streets, etc. Can anyone "think outside the box" and recommend any other sources? And I'm also interested in what folks think is a ballpark price I'll have to shell out for an excellent S2 engine + misc parts.

Bryan
Old 06-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
Turby was parting out a 968 last week, and he said the motor was good.

Quick Reply: Making lemonade - S2 engine into late 8V chassis