Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are all the nice 968's???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 02:11 PM
zucker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you interested in mine?
I may be interested in selling my 93 968....if you want one bad enough and can talk me in to selling it. I am also considering interesting trades, track car, etc...
The overall condition is impeccable. This is a wonderful example of the best of the 924, 944 series. The car has been well cared for and preventative maintenance has kept this car in its incredible shape. The description below speaks for itself.

I can be reached at william.wetmore@us.bosch.com

Details:
93 968 58,000 miles Coupe
Immaculate Guards Red - black B pillars and wing
Tan Interior
Factory Options:
17" refinished 95-911 993 Cup wheels(were C2 turbos as part of factory package but I updated the car) with new MXX3s in the rear(40-50% left on the front)
Leather inserts on seats(4 way power)
Hand painted wheel crests
Manufactured via the exclusive program(basically stating that the car was a custom order)
M220 - limited slip equipped(torsen)

Upgrades:
993 twin turbo Big reds and C2 3.6 turbo rotors on the front(brand new)
Stainless lines all the way around - refilled ATE Super Blue
K&N Filter
had rear calipers rebuilt and powder coated red (Prospeed Motorsports)
new Hawk HPS pads all the way around
New from Porsche (not recycled) M030 sway bars and bushings - rear is adjustable

Maintenance(within last 2yrs/10k miles):
Timing and balance belt/plus it has already been retensioned
tensioners
drive belts(PS and AC)
water pump
radiator fan relays
lubricated and adjusted headlight assemblies
Lower temp thermoswitch (85 and 92) and thermostat (71 C)
coolant hoses - Refilled with Dexcool (phosphate free) and Redline water wetter
DME relay (precaution)
sunroof microswitch
rear wiper assembly(rear defrost died)
Bosch O2 sensor
Heater valve(common failure)
Distributor cap and rotor button
installed aluminum glove box checks (prospeed motorsports)
Bosch Platinum 4 plugs
Power steering supply hose and reservoir(common leaker)
adjusted and repacked front wheel bearings
Put Mobil 1 in tranny GL-5 75W-90
replaced variocam actuator solenoid, chain bushings, cam chain, and valve cover gasket (preventative maintenance)
Replaced external Sunroof Seal
Replaced Driver's Side window scraper molding(common to crack)
Replaced all of the sunroof plastic components (guides, deflector hinges, and center support)
Replaced body side weather stripping (commonly shrinks and comes out) and body panel clips
Has had the transmission replaced(pinion - common problem)

Other:
Blaupunkt flip down face in dash cd player(Honolulu) - original Porsche tape deck was retained
Car has both front fascia and mirror bras(colgan/Porsche respectively)
Mosom custom fitted car cover
New Logo-embroidered factory Porsche floor mats for front and rear (only used for shows otherwise original mats are in car)
new radio antenna (common for rubber housing to crack)
Sheepskin seat covers ($300)
Porsche factory air compressor and un-used spare
sunroof bag and hatch area webbing for storing
under the hood gloves and spare tire bag
tool kit and tow hook
Luggage cover
two priamry keys, valet key, wheel lock key, and plastic wallet key
owners manual for radio, car,and stamp book
3M headlight and fog light protectant film has been applied(3mm thick)
Has always been garaged
Oil changed every 4 months(not driven enough to hit 3k) with Mobil 1 15W-50
I have a spare set of half shafts (I got a good deal on them)
All service records since build date
Spare head, fog, and driving light bulbs
Recently powder coated the exhaust tip black(better than factory finish)
I also have almost all of the available literature on this car from framed magazine ads, videos, books, magazines (panorama, road and track, automobile), dealer material, to sales material.

Awards
First place at Porschefest concours (full concours)
Second place at Eurofest Auto Festival Concours (people's choice)
Second place at Pine Island Concours (people's choice)
Old 12-12-2002, 02:31 PM
MikeO
Advanced

zucker,

Looks like you've really maintained your car quite well. Let me ask you (and everyone else here): Is the amount of maintainence that zucker has done the past 2 years typical of the maintainence a 968 requires?
Old 12-12-2002, 03:15 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
If I may, my best friend is an "auto-broker" and can very often get deals for folks as he knows lots of people in the business. He called me from a 97 993 CS the other day, driving it to the buyers home for him after picking it up. Fun stuff.

He does everything from finding the car to arranging delivery if that's needed.

His email is phildis3@hotmail.com. Shoot him an email (he has an 87 951).

-Matt
Old 12-12-2002, 03:38 PM
MikeO
Advanced

Thanks Matt...

By the way, can you e-mail me the name and number of the person/place that has the white Coupe with the Tip that you mentioned in an earlier post. My wife thinks it might be nice to occasionally drive one of my toys (she can't drive a stick), so a Tip is not necessarily out of the question, if the car is REALLY REALLY nice.

Thanks.

Mike
viperbrad@comcast.net
Old 12-12-2002, 04:57 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If memory serves, Porsche only sold about 2500 968 coupes in North America TOTAL - so finding a pristine low mileage tip example will require quite a search, indeed.

If money is no object, there was a factory 968 Turbo RS on eBay a while back. It was ultra rare and looked awesome!
Old 12-12-2002, 05:52 PM
oi-punx
Racer

FWIW,

I found a friend of a friend a pristine '94 968 here in the bay area back in October. He had been looking for quite some time as i'm sure most 968 owners have. The car is guards/black leather, 54k original miles, fully loaded, color matched wing, two owner car with records and up to date maintenance with no body/paint work. I couldn't believe how nice this car was.

He paid $15,000 and only had to drive 3 hours to get it.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:10 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Sean:
<strong>If memory serves, Porsche only sold about 2500 968 coupes in North America TOTAL - so finding a pristine low mileage tip example will require quite a search, indeed. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep, I think that's correct. And by the time you subtract those that have been turned into race cars, rolled into a ball, worn out, or otherwise taken off the street, there probably aren't even 2,000 left.

I looked (casually) for about 6 months, and fairly intently for a month before I settled on a less-than favorite color choice. I still want a white one, but the only one I saw had been smacked in the front end and had a butcher repair job done. The price was right, but when the front frame rails point in different directions (neither original), it's not worth the potential hassle.

Jim, "A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."
Old 12-12-2002, 06:15 PM
Renn951
Advanced

Check the November 2002 issue of Panorama. There is a '92 w/37k miles. Doesn't say anything about the trans, and asking price is $19,500. According to the ad, it is located in Michigan.

Good luck in your search,

Chris
Old 12-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Dave
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by jim968:
<strong>
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Sean:
If memory serves, Porsche only sold about 2500 968 coupes in North America TOTAL - so finding a pristine low mileage tip example will require quite a search, indeed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, I think that's correct. And by the time you subtract those that have been turned into race cars, rolled into a ball, worn out, or otherwise taken off the street, there probably aren't even 2,000 left.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

And of those &lt;2000, some are black, green silver, etc. many are tips and of the remaining few hundred how many do you think are clean low-mile cars. I'd expect to spend a year searching nationwide. Sorry, just looking at the numbers.

Speaking of numbers, over the past year I have seen a few ads for concours quality, low mile, 6 speed 968s, and they weren't $17.5k, more like $25-32k.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:50 PM
phantom309
Racer

[quote], rolled into a ball, <hr></blockquote>
THAT'S the 968 of my dreams....a wreck with an intact engine and tranny I can transplant into my S for, say, 3 grand
Old 12-13-2002, 01:45 PM
MikeO
Advanced

So...does anyone else here know of a pristine, low mileage 968 Coupe for sale? Now that my wife said it might be nice to have a "toy" she could occasionally drive, a Tip is not out of the question.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:59 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by MikeO:
<strong>So...does anyone else here know of a pristine, low mileage 968 Coupe for sale? Now that my wife said it might be nice to have a "toy" she could occasionally drive, a Tip is not out of the question.</strong><hr></blockquote>
I'll keep an eye out.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:54 PM
Ben Plaisted
Racer

If your still looking for a six speed also, I saw this one on Autotrader, I think it fits your needs. <a href="http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=108179515&dealer_id=&make=POR&distance=any&max_pric e=&model=968&advcd_on=n&end_year=2003&min_price=&first_record=26&certifi e" target="_blank">http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=108179515&dealer_id=&make=POR&distance=any&max_pric e=&model=968&advcd_on=n&end_year=2003&min_price=&first_record=26&certifi e</a> d=n&address=04101&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1982&=&color=&c ar_year=1994

Couldnt cut the link shorter sorry
Old 12-13-2002, 02:55 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know nothing about them, not affiliated in any
way, yada yada, but <a href="http://www.aicauto.com" target="_blank">www.aicauto.com</a> seems to have
real low mile, real clean, real expensive cars.
They sometimes advertise in the rennlist classifieds.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Prices are usually high on 968.net--mostly because they are well kept and maintained, nicely optioned or modified, by owners that love the cars. Most usually don't really want to sell them, hence the higher prices.

Quick Reply: Where are all the nice 968's???