Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how does the parking brake switch work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 09:24 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post how does the parking brake switch work?

i had the parking brake shoes relined last summer and had a problem for a few weeks with keeping the brake on and driving. i want to fix the switch so i don't do that anymore, but i am a little unsure as to how the switch actually works.

i have one wire with a broken connection in the area of the switch. i am assuming that that single wire connects to the switch, but how does the signal turn on the parking brake light (i'm assuming there is one...)? does the switch touch metal and ground out, turning the light on? i am a little unsure of how to fix the problem... obviously i will start with connecting the wire, but it is good to understand how it actually works.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by kevin Dubois:
<strong>does the switch touch metal and ground out, turning the light on?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">that's correct
Old 06-01-2003, 10:38 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

I have an early model, so if yours is early, this may pertain:
It's a simple switch.
The switch is just of the 'spring-button' type and is only ON when the spring switch is allowed to be "up"... aka: when the brake isn't on the floor. So anytime the brake is not on the floor, said differently: when the brake engage arm is pulled up to engage, then the switch is "on" and the instrument cluster light will be lit.
When the button-like switch is depressed (when the brake arm IS on the floor, brake NOT in use) then the light goes off.
HTH

Quick Reply: how does the parking brake switch work?