Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with horn

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 10:52 PM
Porscheaddiction
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help with horn

Have posted on other forums, looking and needing ideas.
I have 1981 924 NA..I need some assistance.
The horns are tested and working....the relay and fuse are good. The horn will work if I add in a ground wire to a contact point on the steering wheel and run it to a good ground. So my problem is a bad/broken ground. Where does the Wheel contact points originally ground to?
Thanks Chris
Old 06-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Chris...they come from the metal frame of the wheel which is 'grounded' to the steering shaft and the rest of the chassis...sounds like the contact(s) in the wheel are dirty (clean with an pencil eraser) or broken

if you have an multimeter...the bare metal frame of the wheel should read zero ohms to a bare metal of the chassis...or the gounding points under the dash where there are brown wires connected with a nut
Old 06-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Porscheaddiction
Advanced

Tom that is the problem the steering wheel frame does not read zero ohms. From the contact pad on the wheel to the metal steering wheel hub its zero ohms. however from any poin on the wheel to ground there is lots of resistance. These contacts your taking about in the wheel where are they located? these are not the one the horn pad pushes on are they? if so these 3 brass looking bolts are clean.
Thanks Chris.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

yeah, the ones the horn pad pushes onto

I just went out now to measured those for resistance...to the key switch metal cover and it was about 10 ohms...and also the 3 phillips screws on the wheel - same reading...then I rotated the wheel and it jumps anywhere from 3 to 30 ohms...but the horn works no matter what

I also measured from the key switch metal cover to the door hinge and it was less than 1 ohm

is there any 'play' in the steering shaft?

I guess you could use the one wire in there to pull through a separate second wire for a ground...wierd
Old 06-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget the steering rack has to ground to the chassis. I forgot to reattach the ground wire from the cross member to the rack when I replaced my steering rack and low and behold no horn. As soon as I reattached the wire everything was good.

This wire can get snagged and pull loose if you aren't careful working under the car.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:10 AM
Porscheaddiction
Advanced

I was under the car looking for the ground wire on the crossmember to see if it attached/corroded to the steering rack. Is this ground wire the normal brown colour? or is it black? (even tho most wiring in our cars brown is ground) where on the cross member is it attached? pic if possible please and where does it attach on to the rack? pic if possible...the hayes manual shows none of this. Also if I hold the horn button down and move the steering wheel the horn cuts in and out.

thanks again.
Chris

Quick Reply: Help with horn