Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Warning light won't go off!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 03:31 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ABS Warning light won't go off!

Hi there!

As the topic says........

I've cleaned the sensors, and the driveshafts, and also checked the fuse (and looked at the relay... look, it's silver ) and the thing still won't go off!

I seem to remember I had this problem about 3 years ago, and I'm sure that there was some funny combination of turning the ignition key on and off about 4 times..... or something.

Can anyone suggest anything except 'take it to a dealer and have it checked'!

Thanks in advance,
Old 04-20-2002, 07:16 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Mmmmm... Let me put it this way then, Does anyone have access to the ABS manual from Porsche, and does it say anything about resetting the system?
Old 04-20-2002, 11:45 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

The airbag, seatbelt & central warning lights will come on and stay on for a few reasons I certainly don't understand, but it has to do with electrical current being interrupted. Like a blown instrument/sunroof fuse or just pulling the darn fuse out with the ignition switch in the on position. Of course it could also go on because the airbag system really has failed the startup test.
You can reset it for free. I had to do this a couple times due to a sunroof relay problem and still have it memorized:

get on your back in the passenger footwell (USA model my only experience) and look behind the glovebox up by the right hand side of the firewall. You will find a loose 3 wire pigtail with a white (at least mine was white) rectangular 3 wire female connector that connects to nothing.

Insert a wire into the middle, i.e. center, hole. Make sure this connection is good and the wire doesn't fall out. Attach another wire to a good ground. Both these wires should lead to the driver's seat area and have bare ends.

Make sure you memorize the following before hand or you will screw it up, the timing and sequence are important since perfectionist Germans dreamed it up:

- set a watch with second hand on the center driveshaft hump.

- connect both wires.
- turn ignition key to run position
- 5 seconds and disconnect wires
- 5 seconds and connect wires
- 5 seconds and disconnect wires
- 5 seconds and turn off ignition key

OK! If you did this right you have reset the airbag. Keep those bare wire ends far apart and start engine and see if airbag tests itself and shuts off light as it used to. It will be a looong 10 seconds. Start over if you screwed up the sequence.
Old 04-20-2002, 03:40 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Thanks Mark, Extremely good advice! I'll try it tomorrow morning!

Quick Reply: ABS Warning light won't go off!