Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:58 AM
944 guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
haha ****.. you gotta be kidding right?

this is in euros per liter.

1euro = $1.55

1 Liter = 0.26 gal

in nederlands 1liter costs approx. 1.6 euro or $2.48

so 0.26 of gallon is $2.48...

Hehe yeah, you folks have nothing to complain about. By now regular is 1.65 per liter, or 9 dollars 60 cents per gallon! My dad happily fills up his 928 over in the US, but the 944 here costs a pretty penny. I like the sticker you see on the lower left BTW: 'Den haag tankt voor 70% met u mee!' Or: the hague (where our 'government' is situated) fills up 70% for you! Implying that nearly 70% of our fuel price is f*%&ng taxes. I pray for the day that we have a hunting season on politicians.
Here's a guaranteed 10% increase in fuel economy (and more power and insanely better torque curve too!): www.sdsefi.com We have it on the 928, and it's on it's way for the 944!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944 guy
Hehe yeah, you folks have nothing to complain about.
Considering the amount of miles the average US driver goes each year, and the fact that we do not have a half-way decent public transit, then yes we do have something to complain about.

Zoltan covered most things:

Originally Posted by zoltan944
DO NOT USE CRUISE CONTROL!
You can do much better by letting your foot roll into acceleration.
Accellerate down the hills for momentum for up hills
remove back seat and all other possible weight. Fiberglass rear bumper, remove spare and replace with fix a flat jack tools, any other weight possible.
you can draft semis
Stay in a economical RPM range. Not too low where you down shift for hills but not too high
Buy a piggyback to keep your cruising lean
be up on maintenance
lower your car
really light wheels hugged inside your fender well
One note though, if you're going to use a piggyback to lean out the cruise - you must disconnect the factory O2 sensor. Otherwise the DME will offset your changes to try to get back to 14.7:1.

Also, run the absolute thinnest, highest pressure tires possible to reduce rolling resistance. And make an 'Air-Dam' to keep air from going underneath the car.

-Rogue
Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 AM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Considering the amount of miles the average US driver goes each year, and the fact that we do not have a half-way decent public transit, then yes we do have something to complain about.

-Rogue
I couldn't agree more. I commute 50 miles round trip to work each day, in the city. I have zero options for any form of public transportation that can get me to and from work. There isn't even a bus that can get me within bicycle riding distance to work, let alone a bus that operates at the hours required to get me to work on time.

I do feel bad that you guys abroad have to pay that amount, but at the same time I feel it's your fault for allowing your governments to tax you at those levels.

We pay taxes on gas too, but our complaint isn't for the actual taxation, but for the amount of pure profits the oil companies rake in. There is no need for a company to price gouge us to the extent that they can make BILLIONS of dollars of pure profit every fiscal quarter. That is nothing but greed to the highest levels, and in the end, everyone has to pay for it.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage Improvement