Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Turbo my NA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008 | 06:34 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Default Can I Turbo my NA?

How many times have I seen this Question?

Now the answer came - YES YOU SURELY CAN!!!
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-944s-forum/374665-new-944s2-cab-turbo-finished.html

I've been looking for this kind of thread for years and then missed it till now!
Old 05-27-2008 | 06:35 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

ducks and hides

Old 05-27-2008 | 08:47 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Didn't his motor give up on him? I seem to recall someone mentioning that in a thread a while back.
Old 05-27-2008 | 10:25 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

no I think I remember hearing that he was selling off the manifolds and turbos to finance a motor rebuild for even more boost

no reason an N/A can't be turbo'd, but it's not an easy task
Old 05-27-2008 | 10:28 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
Didn't his motor give up on him? I seem to recall someone mentioning that in a thread a while back.
Originally Posted by white924s
no I think I remember hearing that he was selling off the manifolds and turbos to finance a motor rebuild for even more boost

no reason an N/A can't be turbo'd, but it's not an easy task
Oh no. It gave up. It was hammered. Then he decided to do a motor rebuild.
Old 05-27-2008 | 11:45 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
I've been looking for this kind of thread for years and then missed it till now!
I'm afraid you also missed this other thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=turbo+piston
Old 05-27-2008 | 08:58 PM
JakeS2
Racer

Ok, you _can_ turbocharge/supercharge an N/A or S/S2 but do bear in mind
a)rods on the 951 are different
b)turbo engine is built differently (stronger stuff down there to stand the boost)
c)You need to have a oil feed for the charger (f.ex Rotrex has independendet lubrication/cooling)
d)You can do 1.0bar -> anything above that will require engine rebuild.
e)more power = less reliability. Don't do it on your daily driver, period.

Of course if you're looking for more power you can do head modifications & cams on N/A , but that ain't cheap either. And in N/A or 944S you need to work on the brakes and suspension.

With S2 it's a "bit" different as the 3.0L is good for 240-250hp with slight mods, most of them being bolt-on. S2 also has the similar brakes found on the 951.

Mike did a nice job on his 3.0L and if I won't sell my S2 for 993 I'll do similar thing, but with a supercharger, not a turbo. IMHO supercharger is better performer than a turbo (esp. on track) - but that's just me. The nature of the S2 is so that best tq and performance is around 1500-5000 and with a low-pressure charger you'll enhance that potential..

I know a guy running a 32V 928 with s/c as a daily driver every summer. He's around 1.0 bar and loves the performance you get in S4 with a SC compared to stock S4.
Old 05-27-2008 | 10:20 PM
pormgb
Racer

Default Turbocharged 86 N/A

I thought I would add my experience to this thread. I have a mint 86 N/A that I have owned for 8 years, over the years I've upgraded the suspension and brakes to turbo spec. About two years ago I decided to modify the motor to produce more power, I really like the car and didn't want to part with it even for a 951.

Last year I decided to add a turbo but I didn't want to do some custom setup, I decided to go with stock 951 parts, by the way the car spent two years supercharged but that gave me too many problems. The car currently runs all stock turbo exhaust pipes with stock single port wastegate, I'm also using the stock K26 turbocharger but don't have the cooling pump (HKS Turbo Timer).

On the electrical front I run a Lindsey Mafterburner with a Ford 80mm MAF. Knock is controlled by a J&S Safeguard and a variable flow water injection system; I monitor AF with an LC1 and Dynotune gauge, the LC1 also connects to my Mafterburner for monitoring and logging.

Boost is controlled via a Greddy E01 EBC, this is the best boost controller I have ever owned, it can log RPM, boost and AF for up to one and a half hours (great for tuning), I also have a Greddy BOV that vents to the atmosphere. When I initially turbocharged the car I ran stock 944 turbo 4.5 ohm 36lb injectors, this worried me since I used them with the N/A DME. Last week I picked up a set of 2.5 ohm 36lb 951 injectors, the car runs much smoother with these.

The car runs really well and is very fast, I have set boost to 10 PSI max and 8 PSI for normal driving. Under load I see good boost above 2000 RPM in first gear, the car pulls strong through all gears, I can even use my 5th gear around town and pull strongly from around 2000 RPM. With regards to reliability I see a small amount of knock in my higher gears; this may be due to my Safeguard picking up engine noise (set too sensitive). From an AF perspective I see 14.5 to 15 at idling and costing, I see 11.5 to 12.5 when accelerating (under boost). A few weeks ago while setting up my EBC I peaked up to 12PSI, I was looking behind the car to see if the pistons were coming out the muffler but the car survived. My long term plan is to build a proper 951 motor, I already have a cylinder head and pistons, I plan to source the other parts and build the motor over our next long Canadian winter. I must say I’m really pleased with the outcome of this conversion, the car is twice as fast and so far is very reliable, it’s nice to have the extra power when needed.

Last edited by pormgb; 11-07-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2008 | 10:32 PM
JakeS2
Racer

Great story, pormgb!

IMHO a stock looking N/A with 951 technics makes a great "sleeper". Riceboys see it not being a 951/S2 so they thing "that's one slow machine".. until they start looking at the rear lights

The sleek body of 951/S2 is too noticeable...

I have heard one or two opinions of the mafterburner + "any MAF" combinations. Yes, it might perform a bit better than the AFM but what I've heard is that stock DME's are pre-programmed to work as they are. Currently the best performing MAF for 944 is the D9's MAF kit or the Vitesse system.

We had a plan to run 944 with stock AFM + SMT6 on a dyno and log the requirements of the DME. Then we'd put in any MAF (stock VW MAF is like $50) and tune the engine to work with that MAF + SMT6. What we encountered is that the fuel maps just won't work right. Well, you're getting close to the std. behavior of AFM but it won't give you the edge MAF will provide.

I'm trying the D9 MAF if I keep my car, it's still a bit open.. But I need SMT6 still because I am not running stock cams.
Old 05-27-2008 | 11:21 PM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by JakeS2
Great story, pormgb!

IMHO a stock looking N/A with 951 technics makes a great "sleeper". Riceboys see it not being a 951/S2 so they thing "that's one slow machine".. until they start looking at the rear lights

The sleek body of 951/S2 is too noticeable...

I have heard one or two opinions of the mafterburner + "any MAF" combinations. Yes, it might perform a bit better than the AFM but what I've heard is that stock DME's are pre-programmed to work as they are. Currently the best performing MAF for 944 is the D9's MAF kit or the Vitesse system.

We had a plan to run 944 with stock AFM + SMT6 on a dyno and log the requirements of the DME. Then we'd put in any MAF (stock VW MAF is like $50) and tune the engine to work with that MAF + SMT6. What we encountered is that the fuel maps just won't work right. Well, you're getting close to the std. behavior of AFM but it won't give you the edge MAF will provide.

I'm trying the D9 MAF if I keep my car, it's still a bit open.. But I need SMT6 still because I am not running stock cams.
I don't support street racing but I've surprised a few people already, this car really moves.

I have always used the Mafterburner to get the right furl map, my first one was a non Lindsey unit with a Ford Lightning 90mm MAF, it just never ran right. With the smaller Ford MAF and the Lindsey Mafterburner the car really runs well. How is the D9's MAF kit or the Vitesse system better than my setup?
Old 05-27-2008 | 11:55 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Most people think the answer to "can I turbo my NA" is "no", but in fact the answer is "yes". It's just (usually) not worth it when 951s are so easy to find and inexpensive. Kudos to those who defy "usual" and go for it anyway though!

Mikes engine kicked the bucket when he cranked it up to 12psi. If one turbos a stock block S2, one should keep the boost around 8 psi (or less!).
Old 05-28-2008 | 01:44 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

I'll agree it make no sense to turbo a 944 or even a S when you can easily replace it with a 951 the S2 is a different story though if you turbo the 3.0 a 951 can't compare.

Johan
Old 05-28-2008 | 03:29 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
the S2 is a different story though if you turbo the 3.0 a 951 can't compare.

Johan
Yes it can. A modified 2.5 liter 951 can run higher boost than 8 psi and give the turboed S2 a run for its money.

Quick Reply: Can I Turbo my NA?