Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temperature sensor for gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 01:07 PM
bs
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post temperature sensor for gauge

is the sensor for the engine temp gauge located on the head right above the front of the upper balance shaft (and behind that metal hose that connects the head to the upper radiator hose)? or is that the one for the dme?

since i just got my water pump off and it looks completely fine, i have no idea why my car has been overheating so badly and would like to verify that my gauge is accurate.

i pulled the aforementioned sensor and it read almost 3k ohms at ambient temperature, and about 200 ohms in boiling water. does anyone know if this is about right?
Old 10-31-2002, 03:54 PM
944Play
Pro

[quote]Originally posted by bs:
<strong>is the sensor for the engine temp gauge located on the head right above the front of the upper balance shaft (and behind that metal hose that connects the head to the upper radiator hose)? or is that the one for the dme?

since i just got my water pump off and it looks completely fine, i have no idea why my car has been overheating so badly and would like to verify that my gauge is accurate.

i pulled the aforementioned sensor and it read almost 3k ohms at ambient temperature, and about 200 ohms in boiling water. does anyone know if this is about right?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The gauge sender is in the block, under a couple of allen cap head bolts. There are two male spades - the small one is for the gauge (analog) and the big one is for the idiot light (binary). The DME temp sender has the blue injector-type electrical plug.

I think the gauge sender should read 68 ohms at 100C or something like that - I may be in Volvoland on this, but it should follow the same impedance range.... Here is a
<a href="http://members.tripod.com/early944/misc/watertemp.htm" target="_blank">calibration method</a>.

The idiot light circuit should close at 125C. To test that, you'd have to use an oil or pure coolant bath.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:05 PM
944Play
Pro

Oh yeah, and test the gauge by putting a resistor of known value in place of the sender.

Again, I *think* 68 ohms should be 100C (upper hash), could someone with factory manuals verify?
Old 10-31-2002, 05:50 PM
bs
Pro

it sounds like the sensor i pulled is the one for the dme.

roughly where in the block is the sensor for the guage?

i checked my factory manuals pretty thoroughly and found nothing about the calibration or location of either sensor.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:13 PM
944Play
Pro

[quote]Originally posted by bs:
<strong>it sounds like the sensor i pulled is the one for the dme.

roughly where in the block is the sensor for the guage?

i checked my factory manuals pretty thoroughly and found nothing about the calibration or location of either sensor.</strong><hr></blockquote>
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=006612&p=" target="_blank">According to this thread</a>, I was at least close to the sender impedance. The gauge sender is at the front of the block just below the head where it juts out to the driver's side.

The resistance for the gauge sender is measured from each spade to the threads. One should be infinite (idiot light), the other in the hundreds when room temp.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:09 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Check this URL:

<a href="http://early944.tripod.com/" target="_blank">http://early944.tripod.com/</a>

Quick Reply: temperature sensor for gauge