Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pre-purchase check

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 02:10 PM
Sintax
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post pre-purchase check

I am briging what will hopefully be my 944 Turbo to the shop monday to have it looked over by a mechanic before I hand over the money for it. What should I ask for inparticular? I know about the belts, waterpump, motor mounts, and compression check. Anything else?
Old 05-05-2002, 02:28 PM
adrian jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Sintax:
<strong>I am briging what will hopefully be my 944 Turbo to the shop monday to have it looked over by a mechanic before I hand over the money for it. What should I ask for inparticular? I know about the belts, waterpump, motor mounts, and compression check. Anything else?</strong><hr></blockquote>

First think is, is the mechanic proficent with Porsches, if not dont even bother.

If so then he'll know what to look for and tell you, all the above are important, belts and serivce history with bills
Old 05-05-2002, 02:41 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
I always looked for small things. If the small things were in tact, chances are the car was under the care of very loving owners. Look for cracks on the dash, broken armrests, broken *****, etc. You dont need a mechanic for that, let him look at the mechanics. Check the paint with a flashlight. A different paint pattern (i.e. different direction) may mean repainting and a one-time accident. Test every single device on the car....alarm, power seats, A/C, the headlights, check the taillights, turn signals, wipers, washer jets, fogs, stereo, door locks, windows, anything and everything. Look inside the rear wheel wells under the trunk mat. Ive seen some bizarre things in there. Usually thats where the air compressor is stored. If its not, where is it? Check the tires, inspect the rims, paint cracking/peeling, etc. I took mine to a mechanic too but I did a lot of these things for my own peace of mind. No car is perfect but the more bargaining power you have the better.
Old 05-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts
Even better if they do a lot of work on 944's. I've found varying degrees of expertise in this area among mechanics. Dealers and shops will often have a '944 guy' that does most/all of the work on this series. That's the ace you want inspecting the car if possible.

Keep the shiny side up,
Old 05-06-2002, 11:27 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I developed a little checklist that I used when looking for my 944. It's loosely based on an article in Excellence magazine from a few years ago. If you're interested in it, I can send it to you (MS-Word format). Just lemme know what your eddress is.

-Z.

Quick Reply: pre-purchase check