Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure with different weight oils

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 11:16 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Oil pressure with different weight oils

I'm just wondering if I'm suppose to notice a difference?
I get 2 bar at idle with 10-40 and 2.2 or something bar at idle with 20-50.
10-40 is amsoil high perf motor oil. 20-50 is amsoil series 2000 racing oil.

Test drives were within 2-3 hours of eachother. (7pm and 10pm or so). Change in oil pressure could easily be attributed to the fact that it was warmer for the first test drive than the 2nd. Also something that could be flawing the results of my little test...For the first drive the car had not been run in 24hrs, for the second drive the car had been driven and fully warmed up only 3hrs prior. However...with 10-40 oil pressure was typically 2 bar/a tiny bit below once hot (in the recent heat wave).

So whats up? Is there suppose to be a big difference?

I have to say listening to the lifters waiting for oil has got to be one of the worst sounds a car can make...

Just curious...

--Adrial
Old 04-18-2002, 11:25 AM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adrial -

Thicker oil takes more pressure to move... So if you use thicker oil, you'll get slightly higher oil pressures.

.2 Bar equates to roughly 2.97 psi which could also quite well be in the tolerances for the gauge's margin for error.

If you have good oil pressure that doesn't go away, you're usually ok.

HTH!
Old 04-18-2002, 01:55 PM
*Rothmans*
Instructor

Cool

Adrial:
You will see a pressure increase with a thicker weight of oil.
I see you are using the Amsoil racing line.
Did you also put on one of their oil filters?
Please let us know what your experience is with this product. I am thinking of putting it in my car.
Also did you switch from dyno-juice?
Did you flush your motor at all?
Sorry but I just have to ask.....
Old 04-18-2002, 02:02 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I'm still using the Mahle filters...they're the only ones I trust to have the flow-back valve. IF anyone can tell me for sure that the amsoil filters have it too I'll switch ASAP.

I changed from dyno oil 1800 miles ago. The car does leak now, but I intend to fix the leaks. I had a feeling it would start leaking..but I figure if it starts to leak I'll fix the leaks cause.

The stuff's expensive...I recommend ordering direct from Amsoil in bulk unless you can get it cheaper nearby.

I didn't flush the oil..well I kind of did...I ran a 1/2 quart through...I figure after a few oil changes it'll be cleaned out. I just changed the oil after 1800 miles because of the extreme heat here in NY...I took a sample and I'm going to send it to be analyzed.

Feel free to ask any more questions...
Old 04-18-2002, 02:37 PM
Z-man
Race Director

How does Amsoil compare to Mobil 1? I'm using their tri-synth 15W-50. Thicker oil is good for DE, IMO...

-Z.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Flight_951
Pro

[quote]Originally posted by Z-man:
<strong>How does Amsoil compare to Mobil 1? I'm using their tri-synth 15W-50. Thicker oil is good for DE, IMO...

-Z.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was using Mobil One 15-50 until a few days ago. I switched to Red Line 10-40. With Red Line, I noticed much less noise from the engine internals, slightly lower coolant temperature, and slightly higher oil pressure under most conditions. I am hoping to reduce the oil consumption as well, but I'll have to wait a few hundred more miles to see if that happens too.

The only downside with Red Line has been increased turbo lag. They say 5-30 and 10-30 decrease turbo lag.

I made the switch because Red Line claims that their oil reduces the wear on bearings, and our #2 needs all the help it can get.

The idea of reformulated Mobil One also bothers me. Shouldn't it have been "anti-wear" all along? I still think Mobil gives Porsche free oil at the factory to fill new cars just so owners and enthusiasts continue to buy Mobil One as their cars get older. Just my 2 cents on that...

Quick Reply: Oil pressure with different weight oils