Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 07:03 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter- not sure about the tecnical stuff on redline's etc, but SHORTER gearing makes for quicker accelaration- the S2 has shorter gearing than a 951, as does the 968 (I HATE THE 968 gearing), but for a street car, it's not neccesarily the best idea- please excuse me if I misread (or misunderstood) the replies. I'm also not sure, but doesn't the Turbo have a stronger transaxle than the S2? I know the Turbo S had a better trans than the regular Turbo- shot peened 1st and 2nd and several other little mods...

Andrew- I think you should start making some phone calls- maybe someone like Garrity Repta can help you out- he used to always suggest the S2 over the 951 if one wanted to get some major power out of the engine, and he's a LOT more reasonable than Powerhaus, plus, he's an excellent machinest. Scott Gomes and Jon Milledge would be great people to contact too, but if Poerhaus is out of your league, then they will be too- I assume they would be about the same, but much better enignes IMO- if you do decide to drop some $20K+, call them first. Anyway, there are a lot of engine builders out there- you just need to get a small list of stuff together, a few goals, a ballpark buget, etc and spend some time typing and dialing. BTW, I LOVE the idea of a turbo charged S2 cab- that would be one of my biggest dream cars ever- you can solve the trans problem (if you consider it a problem) by exchanging yours for a Torsen 968 w/custom gears at Powerhaus II (no relation to Powerhaus), but it all adds up...
Old 04-20-2002, 07:35 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to be honest i think eventually a shorter geared gearbox can be a disadvantage after a while. eventually after building up hp in a car you will spend too much time shifting and you'd be better off with a close ratio but taller gearbox. i think i'd like my 1st and 2nd gear to be a bit taller. i'd then like 3rd and 4th gears to handle the same range of mph but start and end higher. i think i'd rather 5th be a 1:1 gear instead of an overdrive gear.

Quick Reply: engine options?