Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 11:41 AM
Conor
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Power Steering Issues

Ok, I've narrowed my steering groan/moan down to the power steering It does it now when ever the car is stopped and I turn the wheel, but only if the engine is on, so it is definetly the ps. My fluid was a little low, but the big problem is the bubbles in the resivior when I turn the wheel. (good call Jon). How do I find the problem? Should I try bleeding the system, if so, how is that done. Thanks in advance for any replies. I hope this can be fixed quickly, its a pretty annoying and load sound. Thanks!

Conor
Old 10-30-2002, 12:01 PM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick fix... add more PS fluid. It uses ATF Dexron III.

The proceedure for bleeding the PS system couldn't be easier. Just turn the wheel from side to side until the bubbles stop coming up. Since this is what steering is all about anyway you don't even have to worry about it, it will bleed itself. The groaning you hear is the air in the system, when the groaning stops you are pretty much bled anyway.

The real problem is the you have a PS leak. 10:1 it is your rack leaking. If your lucky it is just a hose or loose clamp somewhere. You aren't likely to be lucky.

To check it is easiest to look at the boots on the rack. If they are filled with PS fluid you have a leaking rack. Time to rebuild it or get another rack.

Your pump could also be leaking. Look for fluid dripping off the pully or out of the pump housing. This is a pricey option.

My rack has been leaking for some time. I've got a PS rack seal kit I'm going to get in a few weeks for about $30 + shipping from TRANSTEC.

I've heard of several people that have used this kit with good success, but there are no instructions included and I get the idea you should already be moderately comfortable with wrench turning.

Its kit #8239 from TRANSTEC.

Here is who I was in contact with:

Amy M. Price
Sales - Special Markets
CORTECO/TRANSTEC
The Aftermarket Business of Freudenberg-NOK
11617 State Route 13
Milan, Ohio 44846
800-852-0340 ext. 6107 amp@fngp.com

Thanks to 951and944S for the supply info. I know he's done several of these.

Otherwise you could go with a new rack or a rebuilt one. Both options are into the hundreds of $, plus install costs.

You can go quite a while happily just adding PS fluid every once in a while. But, the problem will just get worse and you will eat through other things like the rubber bushings on the front sway bar with the leaking PS fluid.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Issues