Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent "rough running" help request

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002 | 01:24 PM
K2NE
AutoX

Post Intermittent "rough running" help request

Let me describe this the best I can.

When first starting the car ('83 944, stock), sometimes it will idle roughly around 700 rpm, sometimes it will idle normally around 900 to 1000 rpm. When idling roughly, giving it throttle will settle it down, but getting off the pedal returns it to idling roughly. Eventually, it will idle normally and stay that way.

Here's the weird part.

After getting out on the road, the car will return to the "running roughly" state and stay that way for 2 to 3 minutes. This is only noticeable below around 3,000 rpm but even above that, there is a significant power loss unless I floor it. After a couple minutes, it clears up and the car runs normally, usually for the rest of that "run", whether it be into town and back (about 40 miles) or a really long (several hours) run. Let her sit for an hour or so, and she "might run normally and might not". If not, it's back to the same scenario I just described.

Several folks have told me they are fairly sure it is the throttle position sensor (either needs adjusting or replacement). And one or two have told me "maybe the O-2 sensor."

What's *your* opinion, please? ... and thanks in advance to all!!

--Vince

Quick Reply: Intermittent "rough running" help request