Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Taj Ma Garaj Road Trip - Dayton, OH *June 21st*

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
didnt take any- not many people there since most of you chickened out- lemme just say that John has some things up in the air to talk about and there were ladies in the restroom trying to snap pics of something.....
Word.......

Old 06-22-2008, 04:52 PM
tk's944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best Car In The Place
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

I had a great time and it was great seeing everyone there.
Thanks again John for opening your amazing place to us.
Here are a few pictures, he had a couple more car, this time on the roof!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Nice pictures Antonio. Sorry I missed it. I hope John will be kind enough to open his doors to Rennlist again next year.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:12 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Just got back in, 1600+ miles round trip this weekend in the 911 to meet John & all the p-car guys at the TMG this weekend! Thanks a bunch, it was a great trip.

Have some crappy cellphone pics but that'll wait til tomorrow - we're wiped out!

Highlight of the trip back, ran into a black 993 Cab driver in Jersey, who was just coming back from an auto-x. Was able to chat up briefly due to stop-n-go on 287. Weather was mostly great the entire trip, had some rain on the way out in the late pm / early evening, and some brief rain on the last half-hour or so in RI. Otherwise, top was down pretty much the entire trip.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
kirk4
Track Day

What a great collection of all things Porsche. I have mixed feelings on some of the newer cars with all the shipping stuff still in place. It seems like a waste to have them sit and never be driven. I arrived excited about seeing the cars but I got hung up on the fact that such great cars should be driven. Loved all the cars in the parking lot outside. The sound of the Black 944 Turbo was way cool.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

whats the difference in buying a $150,000 car and not driving it and buying a $150,000 oil painting that just sits on a wall. Nobody ever questions the oil painting and you look at that and admire it. Here you are admiring sheetmetal.

Someone has to keep the time capsules.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
kirk4
Track Day

I know the argument. A painting is made to look at and a car is made to drive. It may just be me but I would rather see it driven some instead of being put away and never driven. It could also be that I can't afford the cars and I'm just jealous that someone else can put a few away and never use them. Bottom line is it's none of my business just my thoughts.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:34 PM
dixons993
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kirk4
I know the argument. A painting is made to look at and a car is made to drive. It may just be me but I would rather see it driven some instead of being put away and never driven. It could also be that I can't afford the cars and I'm just jealous that someone else can put a few away and never use them. Bottom line is it's none of my business just my thoughts.

Kirk,
Do not apologize for your well meant opinion. Many have said this to me long before you.
I was very close to my grandfather who told me on more than one occasion, "You never really own anything, but you better take care of it because it belongs to the Lord."
He grew up through the Great Depression and was and still is one of my greatist heroes.
That might help explain the method to my madness, but you still might be right.
However, he was too.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dixons993
I was very close to my grandfather who told me on more than one occasion, "You never really own anything, but you better take care of it because it belongs to the Lord."
John, you are one gracious and neat guy. Your grandfather was right - we can't take it with us when we leave this world. I'm glad you have shared your enthusiasm for all things Porsche with us. And you have taught us many profound things. I especially like the advice on your wall - "Never under any circumstances take a laxative and a sleeping pill on the same night."
Old 06-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

John if you dont mind me asking, how did you get that Europlate but with Ohio colors on it? Please share!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
dixons993
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rock
John if you dont mind me asking, how did you get that Europlate but with Ohio colors on it? Please share!

We could not bring ourselves to drill holes in the 959 rear facia. We measured a Euro plate for accuracy due to the tight fit of the German frame that came with the car.
Then we cut it from flat stock on a laser type cutter.
From there it was wrapped in an incremental three stage reflective vinyl.
Each of these stages allowed the individual lettes, numbers and background to make it appear that the work was done by some of Ohio's best behind bars when it was actually done here in Dayton.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 PM
kirk4
Track Day

Originally Posted by dixons993
Kirk,
Do not apologize for your well meant opinion. Many have said this to me long before you.
He grew up through the Great Depression and was and still is one of my greatist heroes.
That might help explain the method to my madness, but you still might be right.
However, he was too.

Great, from your post it looks like I just insulted the owner to one of the best collections I've ever had the chance to see. Ask my wife, I've driven her crazy talking about how great your collection was. It was so much more than the cars that impressed me. It was the entire collection in whole. Thanks for letting us enjoy such a great collection of all things Porsche.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM
tarmac944
6th Gear

Enjoyed the gathering this past weekend at the Taj. It's a great way to kick-off the summer. Looking forward to P2O. Thanks John for sharing your collection with fellow Porsche enthusiasts and to Antonio for coordinating our visit.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 PM
dixons993
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kirk4
Great, from your post it looks like I just insulted the owner to one of the best collections I've ever had the chance to see. Ask my wife, I've driven her crazy talking about how great your collection was. It was so much more than the cars that impressed me. It was the entire collection in whole. Thanks for letting us enjoy such a great collection of all things Porsche.
Please rest assured that you did not insult me or the cars. The point I was trying to make was that there are many who would agree with you.
However, there are probably as many who don't mind looking at garage queens for what they are.
Ferry himself said that they are meant to be driven.
It just so happens that many of us who are driven by looking at them for what they were meant to be.
No harm. No foul.

Quick Reply: 2008 Taj Ma Garaj Road Trip - Dayton, OH *June 21st*