Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOR PCA June 7-8 Nelson Ledges DE - 944Fest warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NOR PCA June 7-8 Nelson Ledges DE - 944Fest warm-up - updated with pics

Gentlemen,

Here is your chance to get ready for this years 944Fest and/or relive the glory days from the past couple of Fests. Registration is open for the NOR PCA DE at Nelson June 7 - 8. Applications are available for download here:

http://norpca.org/drivered.html

For those of you who have never been (or at least in the past 5 years) to Nelson Ledges, it is worth giving it a try. Nelson Ledges has a ton of history including IMSA events in the 70's involving Paul Newman etc., and had the very first 951 in the US shaken down on it by Fred Baker (one of the instructors still drives it). The track went through a period of poor management in the late 90's, and was in pretty poor condition, but has been experiencing a resurgence in the last five years or so. New owners have been making steady improvements, including repaving several sections of the track as well as the pit, installing flush toilets, etc. It is certainly not as sexy as tracks such as Mid-Ohio and Watkins, but it's the fastest 2-mile track in the country, and has a very nice rhythm to it – easy to learn but very difficult to master - and has a cult like following of guys who love it.

It is a very relaxed event with a family atmosphere, that really makes it a unique event, and anyone who did the track day last year can tell you it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions and hope to see you at the track.

Last edited by Skip Wolfe; 06-09-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Stoddard Porsche, one of the oldest Porsche dealerships in the country has graciously stepped forward to sponsor this event. In addition to defraying some of the track cost and keeping entry fees down, they are supplying some professionally design t-shirts along with a few other surprises.

Here is the official event logo and T-shirt graphics:

Old 05-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

BTW, I have had several questions about if this is a Porsche only event - it is not. This event is open to all marques so if your track/DE car is somethng other than a Porshe you are welcome to bring it out.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:55 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Looking great, Skip!!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Bump - still room available. I do accept paypal for the entrance fees if that helps anyone.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for what I am sure will be a great event. Sorry Skip, we will not be able to attend here as I am getting my eyes "lasered" that weekend.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Still spots available! Weather.com says it's going to be sunny and in the upper 70's - perfect driving weather.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:20 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am coming. The new 944 track car should be delivered today, so I am going to bring the 911 and the 944.

Ed
Old 06-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Thanks everyone who made it to the event this weekend. We had a nice Rennlist 944 contingency that show up - Sam Grant, Mike DeTurck (MPD47), Tom Leigh (highboy), Jon Hunady (JonH), Dave Moffitt (944 alum), Brant Giere (bgiere), and Ed Baus (911racer), and myself. Mike took some awesome pictures (that boy's got skillz).

It was a blast to get to hang out for the weekend, but we had bad 944 Karma. Sam, Tom, Mike and I all have our cars in pieces so I had to mooch drives off of others, and Tom just came to hang out. Sam had his S2000:

Mike had his E30 that he just swapped a E36 motor into (because Mike doesn't have enough projects already). Cool setup but he trashed the tranny Sunday:

On saturday, Jon H had his clutch on his track prepped 924S take a crap in the morning, and Brant Giere had the fuel pump take a crap that afternoon. The only cool thing is that it was towed in by one of two Champ Car safety truck Nelson won in the recent auction of all of the Champ car equipment.

Dave Moffitt was driving a badass 350Z that had one of the coolest sounds out there.

I shared a 944 that Ed Baus (who was our Chief Instructor) bought for $2,500 to run enduro's in NASA. The mostly primer black 944 (aka Darth Vader) had a clapped out stock suspension, wrong offset wheels, a clogged fuel vapor system that made the interior reek like gas during a session track tires, race pads and was an absolutely blast to drive. Ed and I flogged it all day Friday on a lapping day as well as over the weekend. The fuel pump crapped out, but luckily Steinels had an extra at the track and we (Ed with my supervision) had to hot wire it to the parking lights since there is an electrical glitch, but from there it ran like a champ. I almost felt guilty when I passed people in it:

There were a handful of other cool 944 track cars including a buddies Rothmans 944:

Another buddies NASA GTS prepped 944:

The rest of Mike's pictures are on the Racing forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...12#post5493112

All in all, the weather was great - hot but a nice breeze made it bearable, we had a good group of guys, cool cars, and no one bent any sheet metal which is always nice. Only two offs the whole weekend and the worst put some mud on the track which gave me an excuse to ride in the Champ car safety truck. I bough a ton of good beer for Saturday night and a husband and wife instructor team had an impromptu cook out Saturday night at the track.

Last edited by Skip Wolfe; 06-09-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:07 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice event Skip, had a blast the two sessions I got out. Meh, stupid clutch. It's funny, coming out of the carousel it started to slip and I remember thinking, sweet - wheel spin in a 924S! My turbo is still needing a coolant line homebrew mod that kept me home Sunday - I watched a gallon of VW blue antifreeze leak out over my garage floor at 11pm as I just drank a beer and said f-it. Jim was a great instructor and really has me trying to find a way to Beaver at the end of the month. Mike and Dave, it was cool meeting you, dude you were rockin in the 4x4 Bimmer. I think I left my pink squirt fan with you, let's see you mod that thing with some aluminum blades that work!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I was looking for you on Sunday Jon, sucks about the 924S...Murphy's law. Good seeing you again.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:55 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Nice meeting you Jon, to bad about the 924! I gave Skip your fan so you'll have to convince him to mod it for you

Sam, I expect to see your 951 next time. Are you coming to Beaver Run?

-M
Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Hey Jon - I got your cute little pink fan. Let me know what you want to do abut the clutch. We can meet at Brant's or Ed's, pop it on the lift, and with several of us working on bang it out pretty quick.

Quick Reply: NOR PCA June 7-8 Nelson Ledges DE - 944Fest warm-up