Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008 | 03:02 AM
Dinman_UT
Advanced

Default Front Suspension

Hey guys,
I have an 85.5 944 that has a serious front suspension problem. Just by the looks of the front of the car, you can tell that it is sitting too low. Pushing down on the fenders over the struts yields no movement from the suspension, and going over speed bumps shakes the whole front of the car up through the steering wheel. Does this mean I need new struts, or springs too? I think the ball joints are fine since there's no apparent vibration at highway speeds. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a poor college student and hoping I can replace whatever I need to myself.
Thanks.
Old 05-01-2008 | 03:16 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Wait so let me get this straight.

It's really low, really stiff, and the steering wheel shakes.

Aside from some motor mounts the problem is? I paid a lot of money to make mine low and stiff!

Check the white sticker that's behind the carpet in the rear hatch near the hatch motor. Pull off the snappies and you should see it. You should see a list of 3-digit codes; if you see the code "030" this is your problem. Yes you would need new struts but I could help you buy new ones if you sent me the ones you have. They should have defective spring perches with threaded collars.

Other possibilities: did you buy it from someone who might have cut the springs? I can't imagine that you would be riding totally bottomed out any other way unless both your your struts seized or something bizarre like that. Take an under-hood picture and if possible a picture of the strut with one of the front wheels off.
Old 05-01-2008 | 09:42 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Likely your struts are siezed. Springs don't tend to go bad... Probably need new strut mounts too, while you're in there.
Old 05-01-2008 | 03:17 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Ill take a look at your car if you are in the UT area, but it will be a week before Im up there. The rear end sits higher on all US cars - it was a bumper height regulation. These cars are normally pretty stiff. They are sports cars.
Old 05-01-2008 | 04:19 PM
Dinman_UT
Advanced

I used to have an 87 n/a in great condition, and the front felt very different from this car. The only option code I found for suspension was 404 (f/r stabilizer bars). Hopefully I can get some pictures up later in the day. Pjburges, I go to UT, so let me know when you have a chance to look at the car, or maybe even some spare parts. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension