Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 944 is cursed! Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 11:24 PM
steven storch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post my 944 is cursed! Help

Ok, had to leave the road and become airborn a few months ago to avoid rear ending a sudden stopper in front. Completely tore up the front end. Just got everything back together, new front suspension, spoiler, painted. Took it out for its first run in over 4 months today. Car ran beautifully until...came to an intersection and thought I ran over a cinderblock. Car thumps, every rotation of the wheel or so. It shifts into gear (all gears) but won't move without the terrible car shuddering thumping. Can't drive it for fear of grinding up some expensive gears.

Engine runs perfectly. Car rolls smoothly with engine off. Clutch pedal seems firm, and when I let off the pedal it seems to engage smoothly. The tranny appear to shift through all the gears.

Here's the puzzler. Sometimes when I shut the car off and shift into first, the car holds (it is actually in first). Most of the time, however, I depress the clutch, the shifter moves cleanly into first but the car rolls (it doesn't seem to be in gear at all since it rolls but it feels like it is going into gear).

My first guess was cv/driveshaft but the shifting quirk would rule that out?

The clutch was replaced 16,000 miles ago with factory sachs (along with throwout bearing, pilot bearing).

The sound seems to be coming from the rear. No gear grinding but what feels like a gear induced braking that tries to stop the car from moving only when the engine is running.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Steven Storch
1988 944 na
Old 03-29-2002, 12:20 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Question

Ring and pinion?

For your sake I hope not!

Check your gear oil, if really sparkely, yer hosed

HTH and best of luck
Old 03-29-2002, 01:00 PM
tonyshark1
Track Day

sounds like the ring and pinion to me, I had the same thing happen to my 944 and I replaced the clutch and a rebuilt tramsmission at the same time. Godd Luck.

Quick Reply: my 944 is cursed! Help