Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to sell??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002 | 01:24 PM
Sean
Drifting

Smile

I'll chime in because some version of each of these cars rests in my humble stable.

BMW E36 3-SERIES
I have a 1998 BMW 328i with only 25,000 miles, and love it. Great sedan, more comfortable than my Porsches, and loaded with amenities. LOTS of low end torque, and good power overall. More get up & go than my 944, less than the Box S. More easily modifiable aftermarket than my P-cars, though I have yet to do so. Overall, my impression of BMW is great bang for the buck. But note that you see the things everywhere. BMW is definitely an upscale brand, but does not carry the relatively rare panache of Porsche. (if that matters to you...)

PORSCHE 944
Overall, the 944 has to be the best buy for the money. For less than $10k you get the Porsche panache, fantastic handling, and a car that I believe will be a 'sort of' classic. (By that I mean...for those raised in the 80's, the 944 is an icon.) I wish my NA 944 had more oomph, but then remember: "it's all the driver." It's got plenty to do the job. The styling is dated...but hey, it still rocks. Choose wisely and your car will provide maximum enjoyment for the buck. It's a Porsche! Say no more... But choose your 944 poorly and...well, we all remember the ill fated drink from Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade.

986 (BOXSTER)
The Boxster is really a great car. Not a kiddy 911...but a standout sports car in its own light. More of a mid-engined 911 with no back seat (and a rear trunk). In fact, the Box is arguably more of a pure sports car than the 996 (and this has been stated by Alois Ruf, amongst others). It's gloriously simple: two seats, an open top, and a flat-six engine. I wish the 2.5's had more oomph...but the 3.2L Boxster S has plenty to spare. More power is always good, but how much do you need? The main downside to the Boxster is that Porsche has restricted its potential, due to fears about cannibalizing 996 sales. And that's probably justified.... Why buy a 996, when you can get an arguably more pure Porsche experience for less $$$? Note that the upcoming Porsche supercar "Carrera GT" is really a Super Boxster: it's a mid-engined car, with an open top no less! I think that the Boxster will age well. There will always be demand for Porsche convertibles, and the styling is timeless. Parts will be plentiful (albeit not cheap) since so many have sold. So you really can;t go wrong here....but look for at least a 2.7 engine..and a 3.2 S is ideal.

BMW vs. 944?
Tough call. I can understand someone's reasons for choosing the BMW. It's definitely the more logical choice (a real backseat, less pricey maintenance, etc.). But a 944 is a Porsche! There seems to be a greater sense of community amongst P-car owners. Stick with the 944 for maximum panache. If you are unhappy with your particular 944, why not sell it and search for another, better conditioned example?
Old 04-01-2002 | 06:23 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

Sean- what kind of changes did you see with your chip on the NA? I have a throttle cam on the way and was wondering if there is any benefit to the chip. Thanks
BTW- I say keep the 944!
Old 04-02-2002 | 10:28 AM
H Dog
Advanced

My last track car was a 1998 M3 sedan. People got a real laff when I put the child seats back in during the lunch break and gave the kids a ride around the track (limited to 50 mph).

Now that I've bought a 944 Turbo, people are telling me how tough it will be to get it to handle as well as the M3. Watch this space for updates, but suffice it to say that we'll need to throw lots of $$$ at the suspension to overcome the semi-trailing arm weakness inherent in the 944.

Before the M3 I had a 93 325i, also tracked. This car handled great, and with 16" wheels and a stock, non-sport suspension it was a load of fun. Super predictable, easy to slide around, very forgiving. Upgrading the suspension to coil overs (a friend has a 318i which he put the Bilsteins on for $1,000) will make it handle probably better than any 944 -- the 944 is simply too old compared to the E36 chassis, plus like I said, the trailing arm suspension.

(Admittedly, the ultimate M3, the E30 model, had essentially the same suspension design as the 944 series, so all is not lost).

That said, the 325i was just 190 bhp, not much more than a 944S (both 4 valve engines). The 325i and the M3's brakes were simply not up to the challenge of driving hard at Michigan Speedway (I probably use the brakes too much). And like what others have said, BMW or Porsche, expect to pay for upkeep, especially on a track car.

To me it comes down to this: A (then) $40,000 BMW M3 stuffed into the wall on the track is an expensive proposition. A (now) $10,000 944 Turbo stuffed into the wall is still expensive, but a managable risk/expense.

But I'm also not using the 944 Turbo as a daily driver, as I did the M3/4. If you need 4 passenger convenience in a track car, you want the Bimmer, preferably the M3. If you can afford 2 cars, one track and one street, then keep the 944 and get a Neon or something.

Quick Reply: Time to sell??