Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central lock control unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 07:54 PM
MadMax
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Central lock control unit?

Okay, the Factory Service Manual says that the centrol locking control unit is attached to the steering column under the instrument panel...well, it doesn't seem to be on my 1991 S2. Any S2 owners out there who know where the central locking control unit is located. My locks are not working and I need to trouble shoot.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Max
Old 04-18-2002, 02:38 AM
rihaa
Racer

I also own a 91 944S2. The shop manual says that there should be a control unit mounted on the steering column up inside the footwell. It also lists which contacts do what to allow you to test the functionality of the system.

What exactly is the problem you are having with the locking mechanisms?

For a little while my drivers side door was unlocking the door but not disarming the alarm and I was forced to open the car from the passenger side to gain entry.

I just took the locking mechanism apart, cleaned up a few parts and put it all back together and it works perfectly now.

Lemme know if you need some help.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:25 PM
MadMax
Pro

Chris,
I know about the Service manual and what it says. My point is that I can't seem to find the central locking unit. It is NOT attached to my steering column...I looked...for a while. There is nothing attached to my steering column or a box like control unit anywhere near my steering column. I was looking at the wiring diagram in the Factory Service manual and it says the location of the central locking unit is next to the DME in the passenger footwell. In the S2 the central locking unit is evidently co-located with the alarm control unit.

My passenger door locking actuator is not working at all. The door can be manually locked and unlocked with the key but it does nothing electrically. I know what is wrong with my drivers side. The little plastic arm has broken. I can hear the actuator going "chunk" when I lock or unlock but nothing happens if I don't keep turning the key and manually lock or unlock.

I need to perform the trouble shooting for the driver/passenger side actuators to see if it is either the passenger side actuator or the micro-switch in the passenger door handle. I think it is the passenger side actuator that is bad. Because the passenger side door doesn't lock/unlock regardless of which lock cylinder is turned or if the central locking button is pushed. The passenger door lock does actuate the driver's side door lock (at least it did until the plastic arm broke). I just need to go through the trouble shooting to make sure. It could simply be a chaffed wire but I will not know until I put a continuity tester and/or Ohm meter to it.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Max

Quick Reply: Central lock control unit?